We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui Kaanapali Villas to Haleakala crater?

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tennessee
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Maui Kaanapali Villas to Haleakala crater?

Our family will be staying at the Kaanapali VIllas in March and want to head up to the crater for sunrise one morning. I'm wondering how long of a drive we should plan for. Also, if someone could tell me the best route to take that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
9,569 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui Kaanapali Villas to Haleakala crater?

http://www.mauigateway.com/~rw/driving.html

honolulupublishing.com/MauiMaps/maui_map_isl…

3 to 3 1/2 hours. Go back toward the airport, in Kahului take hwy 36 to 37, 377,378. See above map.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui Kaanapali Villas to Haleakala crater?

Thanks so much!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
130 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui Kaanapali Villas to Haleakala crater?

Remember sunrise at the summit is a bit earlier than sunrise at sea level. But the good news is that at 3 AM, you will have no traffic, and it will not take 3 hours to get there. It depends on how fast a driver you are. It took me less than an hour and normal highway speeds to get from Lahaina to the toll booth on 377, and about 45 minutes to get to the top going slowly. Make sure you have a flashlight and warm clothing.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
39,791 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui Kaanapali Villas to Haleakala crater?

Aloha,

I'm sorry, but there is no way in hell you could have gotten from Lahaina to the Park Entrance (which is up Crater Road) in "less than an hour".

From the Park entrance to the summit also wouldn't take 45 minutes................it is more like 20.

Perhaps you meant from Kahului to the start of Crater Road? That would be possible.

Canada
Level Contributor
525 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui Kaanapali Villas to Haleakala crater?

Wow really? So to get from Aston Mahana at Kaanapali to see the sunrise is also 3 hours?

Princeville, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
41,298 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui Kaanapali Villas to Haleakala crater?

Yes, I'm skeptical at best on the amount of time it took eman to get to Haleakala. It takes me a bit over 2 hours from Kihei!! In order to get there from anywhere in west/north Maui allow yourself a good 3 hrs. Time enough to drive there, park and get settled BEFORE the sunrises.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
39,791 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui Kaanapali Villas to Haleakala crater?

Aloha,

Larisa, 3 hours would be plenty-2 1/2 would also be doable. From the Mahana you only need to add about 20 to 30 minutes versus from the Kihei area.

Canada
Level Contributor
525 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui Kaanapali Villas to Haleakala crater?

Thanks! Btw swmarket, I love that pic of your dog!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
6 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui Kaanapali Villas to Haleakala crater?

I have heard many viewpoints about this topic. I think it would be fun but plan a good clear m.orning, so the clouds don not block the sunrise

10. Re: Maui Kaanapali Villas to Haleakala crater?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 26, 2014