We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New traveller to Maui--need advice

Waukesha, WI
Level Contributor
9 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
New traveller to Maui--need advice

My husband and I will be travelling to Maui in July for our 10-year wedding anniversary. We are staying at Kahana Falls in Lahaina (mixed reviews--either loved it or hated it kind of thing--but it was all we could trade our timeshare for). We couldn't get a flight out for two days after our time at the Kahana Falls is up (darn--prisoners on Maui--what a shame!). So the last two days are open as far as places to stay. I was thinking of using those days to explore along the road to Hana. We will be renting a convertible. Anyone know if we can make the whole trip without 4-wheel drive? We're looking at ending up at the Hana Kai Resort. Any idea how long it takes to get there from Lahaina? Any advice or suggestions would be helpful--about Hana, Lahaina or Maui in general. We won the airfare and are looking to make this the best trip ever in celebration of 10 wonderful years together (and a vacation without our children!). Whatever you can tell me would be great (including suggestions for activities).

Kissimmee Fl
Level Contributor
138 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: New traveller to Maui--need advice

Happy Anniversary! It takes about 45 minutes to get to Lahaina from the air port. Get the the Entertainment 2005 Hawaii book. Look it up on line. $30.00 You will safe a lot on dinners, car rentals, everything. We are going to Maui in June, 17 times. We are staying at the Maui Prince in Makena for 6 nights one of the best beachs in Maui and 3 nights at the Maui Eldorado in Kaanapali. When you leave the airport about a half mile on the left you will see a K-mart & a Wal-Mart around the corner. We always stop and get soda maui chips and great gifts post cards candy Hawaii shirts all at about half the price. Good places to eat at are Royal Lahaina Resort, Jameson's, Kobe, & Hecocks free entree with card in the Entertainment book all near your condo. and 2 in the Maui Prince Hotel. Dinner will cost about $80.00 to $110.00 with a drink and tip. with out the book. at a nice place. Hope you have a wonderful time! If you need more help let me know. Aloha, Ann & mike Kissimmee fl.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: New traveller to Maui--need advice

We rented a jeep for our trip two weeks ago. But if I were to do it again I would rent a regular convertible. There is no need for a jeep on the road to Hana and beyond all the way around. My first suggestion would be to take the two paved roads to the left on the way to Hana (Maybe half way through the trip). These roads gave us some of the best photo opps of the rugged shoreline.

The sacred pools, at least the ones below the road, were not as pristine as I had imagined, but they are very nice.

Continuing on past Hana we visited Charles Lindbergh's grave with it's ocien view. Nice place to be buried.

The first ten miles past Hana had spectacular views and were my favorite of the drive. You will have to drive slow because of narrow roads but this was one of my favorite parts of our trip.