We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there cruise ship days?

Williamsport...
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Are there cruise ship days?

I am only 13 days away from my trip to Maui. Are there certain days that the big cruise ships come to town? I am looking forward to visiting Lahaina, but would love to miss the crowds.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,113 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Are there cruise ship days?

Hi Barbara ... welcome to TA. Thanks for reviving this thread for anyone else who is curious about cruise days on Maui, and for reconfirming that POA is in Kahului Harbor on Sundays & Mondays. This was mentioned in a couple of posts above, but perhaps missed by others as well.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Are there cruise ship days?

Our harbors are managed by the Department of land and Natural Resources.

Google DLNR Hawaii and click cruise ship schedules. Then click Lahaina.

You never get the full flood of people from the cruise ships because the ships sell them tours to other areas. If they pull in Kahului then they sell them a trip to Lahaina. If they pull in at historic Lahaina then the ship sells them a trip to Haleakala and central Maui.

When we took the island cruise we had four changes in the itinerery and ports because of medical emergencies. They said this is pretty common so the up to the very day it can be changed. DLNR has the updated arrivals.

There are not many ships docking in Lahaina during the summer because most of the ships switch to doing Alaska cruises.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,113 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Are there cruise ship days?

...just to add, re ships anchored off Lahaina, the CruiseTT site that I mentioned in post #3 has current info.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,113 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Are there cruise ship days?

... oops, The site that JimGloria mentions is more accurate than CruiseTT ... here's the link to it: hawaii.gov/dlnr/…mauicruise13.pdf

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
219 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Are there cruise ship days?

I have been to Maui on a few different cruises, we always get a car and go somewhere snorkeling etc. but then enjoy a bit of time in Lahaina. Does Lahaina do any extra things when the ships are there? Entertainment? Sales? or does it just go with the flow. I also think that most passengers are not interested in much food, maybe a light lunch I know I never am all that hungry. We always had to be back by 5pm as well for the tender.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Are there cruise ship days?

The several times we planned on going into Lahaina and saw a cruise ship at anchor made us change our plans to do something else that day. People in their matching Hilo Hattie outfits walking out into traffic without looking rubs me the wrong way.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
55,090 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Are there cruise ship days?

Aloha,

Rex, you wrote: "People in their matching Hilo Hattie outfits walking out into traffic without looking rubs me the wrong way."

Don't you mean they rub your car's bumper, LOL??!!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,113 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Are there cruise ship days?

Just as well Rex ... they probably didn't miss seeing you either ;)

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Are there cruise ship days?

Thanks to Susan for putting in the link to DLNR .

I used to work for the nonprofit that greeted the ships. The seniors group played the music and sang. We dragged out all the no parking signs, set up a taxi pick up, and set up a car rental shuttle pick up area. The greeting has changed but DLNR still manage the harbors and loading docks and have up to the minute changes.

Peoria, Arizona
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: Are there cruise ship days?

What?? ..... CruiseTT not as accurate? Thanks for the info.