We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time will be going to Maui

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,379 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
First time will be going to Maui

Hi Everyone,

I will be traveling to Maui with my husband and 7-year-old son this September. Second time to the Islands first time to Maui.

We will be Oahu for 6 days then another 6 in Maui. Still trying to decide where to stay. My choices are the Sheraton, but not an ocean view room, or the Noelani Condominiums. What do you suggest? Napili Hale also looks interesting.

Still undecided if we should do the road to Hana & H. Crater.

We loved the many activities in Oahu and hope to find some great ones in Maui and hoping that you can help recommend some. I do have the “Maui Revealed” book, which is very helpful. But he lists so many great beaches it is hard to know which to select.

Any suggestions as absolute must see beaches. I would also appreciate some dining recommendations that won’t break the bank. Local food would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help. I am rally looking forward to our trip. I think of it everyday!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Hale Napili
Hale Napili
56 Reviews
Maui, HI
Wailuku, Maui
Level Contributor
304 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First time will be going to Maui

Scorechestra - Are you talking "luau" type foods? (then you gotta meet a local for the "real" hawaiian foods..... Or just what the locals eat? Depending on the "local eats" (grinds- plate lunch style) Mostly every place you go will have 2 scoops rice, macaroni salad and a dish of sorts, here's a list of my favorite local grinds ......

Haliimaile General Store

900 Haliimaile Road

Makawao (Upcountry)

5:30 PM - 9:30 PM

(808) 572-2666 Pacific Rim Cuisine - Casual, fun dining in a remote location. One of the most imaginative menus on Maui. Chef Beverly Gannon is the best You must try her Margaritas!

Hula Grill

Whalers Village

Kaanapali (West)

(808) 667-6636 Hawaii Regional Cuisine - Casual as well as fine dining available.

The best thing about this place is you can sit outside and watch the ocean, and people passing by, wear slippers cause the sand is all over......fun place.

Aloha Mixed Plate

1285 Front Street

Lahaina (West)

10:30 am - 10 pm

(808) 661-3322 Hawaiian Cuisine - Best plate lunch, 'da kine stuff' the locals eat, this is the place. Good view and outdoor ocean-front dining. Hawaiian music Friday night 'til midnight. Karaoke on Thursday and Saturday nights.

Bentos and Banquets by Bernard

85 North Church St

Wailuku (Central)

(808) 244-1124 Hawaiian Cuisine - They serve fun food, every kind of plate, local Thai, Mexican and Italian. Top sellers are the turkey and lasagne plates. Visit their restaurant on Church St. in Wailuku

Kitada's Kau Kau Korner

3617 Baldwin Ave.

Makawao (Upcountry)

(808) 572-7241 Hawaiian CuisineOne Clam

Where the local paniolos grab breakfast and lunch

Local Boy's Drive Inn

840 Wainee Street

Lahaina (West)

All day

(808) 661-8830 Hawaiian Cuisine - Two Clams

Pick up the famous Maui Mixed Plate of ribs or Chow Fun and picnic at Puamana Beach Park.

Makai Bar

Maui Marriott Resort

100 Nohea Kai Dr.

Kaanapali (West)

4:30 to Midnight

(808) 667-1200 Hawaiian Cuisine - this famous oceanfront lounge where you sip tropical libations has sunsets made to order. Live music twice nightly.

Rainbow Room

Maui Beach Hotel

Kahului (Central)

Breakfast and Lunch

(808) 877-0051 Hawaiian Cuisine - breakfast and lunch with local style food. All different local style foods.

Restaurant Matsu

Maui Mall

Kaahumanu Ave

Kahului (Central)

Lunch

(808) 871-0822 Japanese Cuisine - Bento lunch! Sushi rolls, teriyaki, rice, with pickled vegetables carved into art forms. Local residents know this place well.

Tasty Crust Restaurant

1770 Mill Street

Wailuku (Central)

Maui time

(808) 244-0845 Hawaiian Cuisine - pancakes to die for........be prepared to wait.

Wei Wei BBQ and Noodle House

210 Imi Kala Street

In the Millyard Plaza

Wailuku (Central)

10 AM to 9 PM Daily

(808) 242-7928 Chinese Cuisine - One Clam

This is a take-out or eat-in Chinese and local grinds eatery. Chinese food with a local twist, the staff is courteous and efficient. Their best if the hamburger steak plate.......nice and juicy.

Plantation House

Kapalua Plantation Golf Course

2000 Plantation Club Drive

Kapalua (West)

Breakfast Lunch Dinner

(808) 661-5966 Pacific Rim Cuisine -You will not be disappointed when you eat here. Panoramic views and gorgeous woodwork make this a fest for the eyes as well as the palate. A little pricey....but worth it.

Prince Court

Maui Prince Hotel

Wailea (South)

Call for reservations

(808) 874-1111 American Cuisine - this is definitely the place to go on a Sunday for a great variety of delicious food. Their seafood bar is to die for......this is a treat for us......

Here are a few of our "local snacks" you can also try....

Maui Potato Chips

Limited edition thick potato chips made by KitchnCook. A favorite to take home to the mainland.

Crack Seed

These preserved, salted, sweetened and spiced fruit and seeds are found in most stores. Papaya, mango, lemon peel, coconut, plums all get the treatment. Experiment. You'll find some you really like and some will make you wonder why they bothered. Favorites are Lemon Peel and Li Hing Mui.

Haupia

A custard made from fresh coconut milk and cornstarch.

Kalua Pork

They wrap a whole pig in ti and banana leaves and bake it in a pit. The meat comes out really tender and flavorful. Kalua pork is the centerpiece of any luau.

Kim Chee

A Korean pickle of fermented cabbage and spices. Watch out! This can be fiery.

Lau Lau

Make a bag of ti leaves, fill it with butterfish, pork, taro leaves, maybe sweet potato, and steam it for this Hawaiian favorite.

Limu (seaweed)

Several kinds of seaweed served raw or cooked into dishes. Mixed with ground kukui nuts, salt and sliced fish or octopus and you have poki.

Lomi Lomi Salmon

Salted salmon is shredded, mashed and mixed with tomatoes and green onions.

Malasadas

Portuguese holeless doughnuts that are sold hot, sprinkled with powdered sugar.

Manapua

A steamed bun filled with pork or bean paste. One of the treats you'll find in local groceries and roadside stands.

Opihi

Little limpets that cling to rocks along the tide line. They are picked and eaten on the spot.

Poi

The traditional Hawaiian starch is a root that is cooked and pounded into a purple paste. Poi is traditionally scooped up with the fingers. A taste you have to acquire. (some use sugar), don't eat this alone, like rice, you eat it with something.....like lomi salmon

Portuguese Bean Soup

Portuguese sausage, beans, vegetables cooked into a rich stew. Yum.

Chicken Long Rice

Clear noodles, that are slippery and that you can see through.

Saimin

A watery noodle soup. A Hawaiian friend takes packages of dried saimin with him to the mainland so he will have good food to eat.

Bagoong and Harm Ha

Strong to very strong Filipino and Chinese fish sauces.

Shave Ice

The Hawaiian version of the snow cone. Served with your choice of many flavored syrups. The pineapple flavoring is usually blue. The deluxe version has sweetened adzuki beans and a small scoop of ice cream.

Chocolate covered macadamia nuts

Tons are shipped to the mainland and tons more eaten here. Chocoholics dream.

Spam Musubi

Could be the state dish of Hawaii. A SPAM shaped block of rice with a slice of fried SPAM on top wrapped in black nori seaweed.

YES this is a quick picker upper :)

Hope this all helped and wasn't too much information :)

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Makawao
Makawao
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Aloha Mixed Plate
Aloha Mixed Plate
4,359 Reviews
Maui, HI
Wailuku
Wailuku
Maui, HI
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First time will be going to Maui

We live here, so here you go.

Best local beaches -- Flemings, as mentioned is nice and fairly quiet, but it can be windy. The beach in front of the Sheraton is great for snorkeling, but has a steep drop off. I might not take a 7 year old there. Where I would take him -- 14 mile! Local beach, park just off the road in the trees past Olowahu at the 14 mile marker. Do not take anything valuable and don't bother to lock your car, but do take snorkel gear. Go on a non-windy, sunny day at high tide. I know Kihei has great beaches, too, but I live in Lahaina.

Restaurants. Our favorite is Aloha Mixed Plate behind the Safeway store on the ocean side. Sit outside and watch the ocean. If you like local food, the kalbi is GREAT. So is the Aloha Mixed Plate (Teri beef, teri chicken, mahimahi) and the Ali'i Plate (Kalua Pork, poi, and haupia--coconut pudding). We like the Hula Grill better than Leilani's, especially for lunch when you can watch the ocean. For upscale food, Sansei in Kapalua is our favorite and so is Roy's but they are both expensive. If you like fish buffets (we do), we go to the Garden Court in the Kapalua Bay Hotel on Fridays. Come early to get a good table to watch the sunsets. Maui is not the best place for Mexican food, but Cilantro's is the best, relatively inexpensive and good for kids.

I hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Aloha Mixed Plate
Aloha Mixed Plate
4,359 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,078 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: First time will be going to Maui

And...

Da Kitchen, Rainbow Mall on South Kihei Road

Alexander's, South Kihei Road across from Kalama Park

Joe's Bar & Grill, up by the Wailea Tennis Club (on Wailea Iki?). The same people who have Hailemaile General Store.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,379 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: First time will be going to Maui

Thank you Lucky2, Pzp and Tropo,

Thank you for taking the time to list all of theses fabulous places. I will definately print these out and take them with me.

Tropo you mentioned a seafood buffet. Do they have King Crab Legs at that buffet? My son's favorite! And thank you for mentioning the steep drop off in front of the Sheraton. With my 7 year old that definitely would not work for us.

Ventura, CA
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: First time will be going to Maui

FYI - just stayed at the Sheraton in Feb. While it is nice and "resorty" everything was costly. I have decided I prefer condos. You have more room to move around, they are more affordable, and you don't have to eat out every meal. With our kids we usually have breakfast in (cereal, bagels, fruit), pack a lunch for the beach and eat out dinners. If you have a Vons card it works at the Safeway in Lahaina if you are in West Maui.

Condo wise - the Whaler on the beach has really nice condos, but we have been happy at the Embassy suites and Aston Kaanapali Shores. We are going to try condos in Kahana and Napili next time. We end up driving to nearby beaches everyday (they are less crowded than Kaanapali).

Have a great trip. OUr best trips with our kids have been to Maui.

Mentioned in this post
Aston Kaanapali Shores
Aston Kaanapali Shores
2,687 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
riverside,ca
Level Contributor
189 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: First time will be going to Maui

If you are staying at the Sheration, then Lalanis in whaler village has great food!They have a kids menu. Its right on the beach. We ate there almost everyday for mostly lunch, sometimes dinner. The fish and chips were great. The Hula pie was the best. WE stayed at the Hyatt, with two boys ages 10 and 11 they loved it! Take care

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
800 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: First time will be going to Maui

Have you considered the Embassy Suites? We love it there because you have the benefits of a condo (one bedroom, pull out couch, mini-kitchen) and the benefits of a hotel (daily maid service, daily buffet breakfast, pool side restaurants and bars). Your entire family would love it. I found our best rates on ebay!!! :)

magalia ca
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: First time will be going to Maui

my first trip... lahaine has many shops on lower strip... many beaches to visit.. i found that Noelaine resort condos... beautiful ..on the water ... wavin crashin ... surfers ... exciting.. i love the place.. returnin.. you will love it too.. .... brotherman