We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deep Sea Fishing RIP OFF - Start Me Up" Charters

Hamilton
Level Contributor
22 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Deep Sea Fishing RIP OFF - Start Me Up" Charters

I wrote this review after returning from Maui. We still have not been able to have our credit card refunded. We are not giving up!!!! Just wanted to make everyone aware of this scam, DO NOT give these guys your credit card over the phone under any circumstances! I have contacted a number of tourist associations to complain.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 17th -evening - I called Start Me Up @ [-] and made a booking for a full day private fishing charter for Sunday March 20th at the price of $749.99. Start Me Up advertises on the A3H Gold Card web site. I provided my credit card information for the booking at that price. On March 18th - I received a voice mail message from Captain Chuck asking to call him regarding the booking as he was unable to provide the charter for the price of $749.99. March 18th - 1:30pm - I received a call from Captain Chuck on the way to Wailea Mall. He said that there was a mistake in the booking and that he could not offer the charter for $749.99 as the advertisement was 3 years old and the current price was $999. He offered a 10% discount off that price. At that time we told Chuck we were not interested in booking at that price. I have since spoke to hawaiifun.org and they confirmed the price should have been valid and that is was not three years old, it was a current offer.

On March 18th we contacted another fishing charter called Cuz We Can fishing charters and I spoke with Captain Doug Armfield and booked a private charter for March 20th for $799.00. I provided my credit card for the booking. March 19th - 3:25pm - I received a voice message from Captain Doug Armfield informing me that he was cancelling my booking with Cuz We Can because he was over booked on that day. This was the day before we were to go out he cancelled! Just after he cancelled the first operator Start me Up called back and left a voice-message trying to confirm a supposed booking for March 20th. The one we declined due to the price in the first place. They would not honour the Golden Ticket we had purchased.

I called Start Me Up back to ask why they were trying to confirm a booking that I declined the day before. I was told that I did make the booking and that they had a 48 hour cancellation policy and that I would be charged regardless of what I said. I told them that I never accepted their $999.00-10% offer and would initiate legal action if they tried to put the charge on my credit card. I was then accused of double booking and verbally threatened " they would kick my butt from now til Tuesday if I ever showed up at that harbour" ... he then hung up. We considered contacting the police because we do no appreciate physical threats of "butt kicking " but we were trying to enjoy the last few days of our vacation with our family. I arrived home to Canada, my credit card was in fact charged for $1080.31 CAD Start Me Up Lahaina HI.

I have been in contact with the Golden Ticket people at Hawaiifun.org and Toni was quite helpful and confirmed that Captain Doug in fact owned both charter boats. How about that! They were supposed to honour this price and it was not three years old. They were in this scam together it seems.

In the end our private fishing charter day was ruined. Our kids were very disappointed and I have the hassle of now reserving the charges with the credit card company, which I will do! We are done with deep sea fighting charters in Hawaii and will not be spending our money on any other private fishing tours. We are booked for Maui again next year. We survived the Tsunami but not the fishing charter companies!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,989 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Deep Sea Fishing RIP OFF - Start Me Up" Charters

Bill, yes, he couldn't prove it , therefore no refund from the CC co.

Agree that it's hard to take sides when you only hear one side of the story, but a few things that the OP mentions has me leaning in his direction:

- Confirming a booking at one price, and receiving a call the next day to say they couldn't honour that price and it would be $150. more

- Booking with the other company and having them call the next day to say they were overbooked.

- A few minutes later getting a call from SMU trying to reconfirm the first booking at the higher price.

- The "butt kicking" threat.

- The fact that these companies are owned by the same person.

And just to add, the OP isn't the only one who has had issues with this company (have a look at the review section). While there are many glowing reports, there are an unusual number of negative ones. The company did respond to one there, and I would be surprised if they weren't aware that this thread exists.

22. Re: Deep Sea Fishing RIP OFF - Start Me Up" Charters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:45 pm, June 05, 2012
23. Re: Deep Sea Fishing RIP OFF - Start Me Up" Charters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, June 07, 2013