We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honua Kai snorkeling

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Camas, WA
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Honua Kai snorkeling

Hello,

We are visiting the Honua Kai in May and are wondering if the snorkeling is good in front of the resort? Also, how far of a walk is it to Black Rock and Whalers Village.

Thank You

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,460 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honua Kai snorkeling

Yes, there is great snorkeling in and around the waters of the Honua Kai. Just a bit south of there is Kahekili Beach Park. A nice place for a picnic, snorkeling etc. Much better snorkeling here than at Black Rock. You should have a fabulous time!!

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
284 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honua Kai snorkeling

I believe black rock is almost 1.5 miles and whaler's 2 miles. Tge boardwalk weaves through hotels. We drove.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,612 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honua Kai snorkeling

We walked from Mahana (next door to Honua Kai) to Black Rock in approx. 25 minutes ... and on to Whaler's Village in another 20 minutes or so. The boardwalk is between the hotels and beach for much of the route, so you have a great view of the water, but there are a couple of sections where it goes through resort/hotel grounds.

Agree with msfuzz re snorkelling around Honua Kau and Kahekili Beach...and we also enjoyed Black Rock because of the turtles. When we snorkelled at Black Rock we drove there.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,003 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honua Kai snorkeling

well actually, no, the snorkeling in front of the HK is quite chancey. There's a coral/stone ledge at the edge of the water at low tide and the ledge runs north into the reef in front of the Mahana. There IS snorkeling once you can get into the water behind the ledge, but you have to walk south to find a spot to enter the water. I think that by the time you can enter the water you are south of the HK property. I swim up there every morning from the Westin Villas as far as I can go, which is generally into the Mahana reef. I can tell you that the coral and fish are much better south down by the Villas and the public park. Whatever you do, don't just jump into the water at the HK at high tide without inspecting the area carefully. I'm surprised that the resort doesn't post a notice about it.

Camas, WA
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honua Kai snorkeling

Thank you so much for the valuable information.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,460 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honua Kai snorkeling

The resort's liability ends where the sand begins. Ever wonder why there are no lifeguards in front of any of the hotels? That's why!!

Texas
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honua Kai snorkeling

Walking south from the Honua Kai, would you get to Kahekili Beach Park before or after the Westin Villas?

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Honua Kai snorkeling

Kahekili is after the Villas. For good snorkeling, walk from the Honua Kai and get in the water right in front of the first building of the Westin Villas. Keep going south all the way to Kahekili and the snorkeling is wonderful between those points. You can go out quite a ways as well - lots of area to cover.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honua Kai snorkeling

Good info! Thanks!

Sheridan, Wyoming
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply