We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haleakala- Bike or Drive?

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Naples
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Haleakala- Bike or Drive?

Is the bike worth it? I will have a rental car so I could drive myself and spend some time at the summit or visiting some of the lookout points and short hikes in the crater. I normally love adventure but I would hate to ruin my honeymoon by being one of the unluckys that wipes out on the bike!!

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,979 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haleakala- Bike or Drive?

Think if you drive, you are in control: unless you like to bike downhill a lot and in the rain and clouds if you happen to book the wrong date. If you drive you can check it out on the weather or a phone number that is listed somewhere, I think Maui Revealed before you go to the top and can't see a thing.

Ferndale, Michigan
Level Contributor
135 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haleakala- Bike or Drive?

Drive.

The bike ride is for bike lovers. If you were a bike lover you wouldn't be asking. You'd be looking for an excuse to go biking.

Seriously. After you've seen Haleakala, how you get down can seem kind of inconsequential. All I kept thinking all the way down is, "wow there's the beach ... how do I get there?"

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Haleakala- Bike or Drive?

It is a great drive to the top and there is hiking trails at the top and other ones along the way. I drove to the top the one time I went to Maui but I saw the bikers coming down and it looked like fun. It would be mostly a coast. Mostly brakes and not much pedaling. The trips cost about $100 per person so not cheap. We are going to Maui in June and I finally taked someone in my family to get up and go with me for the sunrise. You have to get up about 4 am to make it for sunrise.

Chicago...
Level Contributor
831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Haleakala- Bike or Drive?

I have not done the bike ride, but I have enjoyed the paths into the crater. The views are spectacular and you would miss it all on the bike ride.

Central Jersey
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Haleakala- Bike or Drive?

Thats so funny that you posted this because this is exactly what I was thinking about. We will also be honeymooning and we're wondering if the biking it was good enough not to drive. We are also on a budget so driving might be our answer (although we love biking). But we will only be on Maui for 2 days and so I don't want to take the entire day catching all the sights slowly by bike, maybe we are better off driving?

Hartland, MI
Level Contributor
4 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Haleakala- Bike or Drive?

I have been on the bike ride and on a horseback trip in Haleakala Ranch - neither was that great. We are going back in February and this time want to see the "inside" of the crater- not the outside!!

We are considering the horseback trips. There is one that is 8 miles round trip and one that is 12 miles. Hopefully this is as good as it sounds.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
755 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Haleakala- Bike or Drive?

I am not hard to please and I hated the bike ride. I'd drive it and save some money!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
745 posts
552 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Haleakala- Bike or Drive?

We thought about this over and over, but decided on driving. I am glad we did not bike. We took our time hiking and exploring various overlooks, then drove down and did the zipline (I think it is at abour 4000-5000feet). It was lots of fun. If we had done the biking thing, we would have missed out on all that. Plus, as far as paying for activities goes, I am glad we did not pay for this one. I would have some serious safety concerns about biking down as well.