We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aina Nalu or Napili Point Resort

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Aina Nalu or Napili Point Resort

My husband and I are coming to Maui the first week of Feb with our 26 year old daughter who is well overdue for a relaxing vacation. We have been to Maui in the past and like the Lahina area. I have been looking at condos in both the Aina Nalu complex in Lahina along with the Napili Point Resort. Both have great reviews and the prices are very reasonable. We plan on a bit of sight-seeing, along with lots of catching up and relaxing, as we don't get to see her very often as she lives in DC and we live in MI. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Maui
Level Contributor
70,259 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aina Nalu or Napili Point Resort

Aloha,

Napili Point will be cooler-possibly more rain in Feb.--but a much nicer overall experience. Aina Nalu has done a great job renovating, but it is in Lahaina town, next to the highway.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Aina Nalu or Napili Point Resort

Thank-you. I had not thought about the rain aspect. If I remember correctly, isn't the rain just a quick shower in the afternoon or something I should seriously consider in Feb?

Maui
Level Contributor
70,259 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aina Nalu or Napili Point Resort

Aloha,

It's hard to say-remember, we have winter here too. Napili may be rainer....or not, if we're still in the drought we are.

Have you considered Kaanapali or the Honokawai areas? They will be a balance between Lahaina town and Napili, weather-wise.

Check out Maui Kaanapali Villas, the new Honua Kai, and a little farther north, the Mahana, Maui Kai......maybe Papakea and Kaanapali Shores. Don't write off the Royal Kahana either-great views.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,770 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Aina Nalu or Napili Point Resort

We're in South Maui every February.In summer the ocean is calmer in West Maui; in winter, South Maui.

Kapalua and Napili can get some cool, wet weather in winter -- and it's almost always windy in Kapalua! LOL If you want West Maui you should be fine from Kahana on south.

I wouldn't choose Aina Nalu -- kind of a glorified motel,with two strikes against it: It IS near the highway and it's NOT near a beach.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Aina Nalu or Napili Point Resort

Thank you for your help. I really like the smaller resort like Napili Point, but will be checking out the others that were suggested now as well. So far it looks like Papakea that was mentioned is also a smaller condo complex similar to Napili Point. Would love to hear of any other smaller condo complexes in the South Maui area if anyone has recommendations in that dept. I appreciate the info on the weather from everyone, as we hope to escapte from wind, cold and of course the snow for a week of sun and warmer weather!

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aina Nalu or Napili Point Resort

I have to take up for the location of Aina Nalu. We stayed many times at what then was the Maui Islander. The one bedroom suite was perfect for us. Two blocks off Front Street is a major point for some people and you can always try to get a unit that is not backed up to the highway. In fact, we never heard traffic unless there was a siren going off. I certainly wouldn't write this condo off just because the highway is behind it.

MINNEPOLIS
Level Contributor
178 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aina Nalu or Napili Point Resort

Try looking into Lahaina Shores. Its a really nice place!

Vancouver, WA
Level Contributor
788 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aina Nalu or Napili Point Resort

For a smaller feel, I would look at Papakea or Napili Point. Both have two bedroom units that are comfortable for sharing. Papakea is a very spread out property and it's within walking to some shops (ABC store and groceries). It's a very laid back, comfortable place to stay. We still haven't stayed at Napili Point, but every year it's on my list of places. We love spending beach time at Napili Bay. My husband likes to have the option of air and I think many here do not have air, which shouldn't be a problem in Feb. In Feb I would choose a property that's on the water, you want to be able to watch the whales!

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
58,902 posts
432 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aina Nalu or Napili Point Resort

For condos, we love Kahana Village & Westin VIllas, hotels we like Napili Kai Resort and we have heard good things from friends about Hale Napili and Napili Sunset.

Use the link below to look at all the properties.

http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mauwestmap.html

Once you narrow down even more, I'd insert the address into Bing Maps to get a "bird's eye view".

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Aina Nalu or Napili Point Resort

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Looks like I have lots to check out from all the great advice!