We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hyatt or Westin for June Honeymoon

mt. laurel
Level Contributor
122 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Hyatt or Westin for June Honeymoon

Which do you recommend for our upcoming honeymoon? We are spending 6 days in Kauai at the Hyatt, and aren't sure which hotel to stay at in Maui. Thanks!

Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hyatt or Westin for June Honeymoon

Out of the two, definitely the Hyatt. Nicer, classier, and LESS kids!

MI
Level Contributor
515 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hyatt or Westin for June Honeymoon

Hi Clash-

Many people would prefer the Sheraton or the Westin over the Hyatt due to some pretty widespread beach erosion in front of the Hyatt. Newman has a different opinion on the matter, as he has voiced on other threads. See this post for a related discussion:

tripadvisor.com/…2275700

Depending on when you go, you'll encounter kids at either one. If you go when schools are not out on break, then it will be quieter. Oops. Nevermind. I see you're going in June, so you'll have kids at either resort.

Hoffman Estates, IL
Level Contributor
515 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hyatt or Westin for June Honeymoon

I found that the kids quote was the same at the two properties. The Hyatt is a bit more upscale but there is literally no beach at all. The Westin's is beautiful. Pools awesome at both. You can't go wrong but if beach is an issue, go with the Westin.

Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hyatt or Westin for June Honeymoon

Why is it so difficult for people to walk a few minutes to go to a beach, or get in your car to go to a really good beach?

That makes no sense to me!

MI
Level Contributor
515 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hyatt or Westin for June Honeymoon

Newman,

If you plan to stay at a resort that is on the beach, and you want to make use of the beach, you want it to be right there. You don't want to have to walk 10 minutes to get to the beach, and you certainly don't want to drive to it.

The Hyatt's beach on Ka'anapali is not in very good shape. For the same money, or less, you could stay at a nice resort in the same vacinity that has a much nicer beach.

If you plan on using mostly the pools, then the Hyatt is great.

We stayed at the Westin, and loved it. We also loved going right from the ocean, to our pool, and not having to walk 10 minutes to get to our pool. And while we stayed at the Westin, we did not use any part of the beach other than the part that was right outside our resort, as there was no need. It made us use the beach more, in fact.

If I had to walk 10 minutes to get to a nicer part of the beach, I would not be able to keep going from pool to beach, and would probably use the beach less. It would just be more of a hassle.

So stay at the Hyatt, Newman, and let us know how it was, and let us know how the pools were. But please stop trying to convince everyone that the Hyatt is the best resort there at Ka'anapali. It may be the best resort for YOU, but it may not be the best for everyone else, especially those that want a beach right there.

Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hyatt or Westin for June Honeymoon

It is the most upscale resort, with the most upscale people.

If you think Kaanapali Beach is nice, then I guess you haven't been to many beaches.

My parent's friend's stayed at the Westin, and hated it...

I am not pushing the Hyatt. Stay where you want, as long as I don't have to pay for it.

MI
Level Contributor
515 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hyatt or Westin for June Honeymoon

Newman-

Let's just agree to disagree. I never said that the ka'anapali beach are was the nicest area to stay. There are other, better beaches to stay on Maui, as well as the other islands, and there are certainly nicer beaches than those on the Hawaiian islands altogether French Polynesia, Tahiti, and the Maldives come to mind...). But if you are staying at a resort on a beach, I would think you'd want there to BE a beach, rather than grass and plam trees that appear to be falling into the water...

And if you don't care about the beach, and all that you care is about the "exclusiveness" of the resort, than why are you even bothering to stay at the Hyatt? Why not stay at the Four Seasons at Wailea? Then you have a great beach, and a fabulous resort. The Hyatt is not the end all and be all on Maui, you know.

8. Re: Hyatt or Westin for June Honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:55 pm, December 21, 2005
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
147 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hyatt or Westin for June Honeymoon

Hyatt stinks compared to the Sheraton, i have stayed at both. can't comment on the Westin.

Hyatt is noisy, lots of kids, not even close to "more upscale" than the Sheraton's facilities. Sheraton tailored to kids, crowded pool area also. Absolutely zero beach. Sheraton located at best spot on kaanapali, so it would make sense to stay there, especially for a honeymoon.

way more romantic than the hyatt, did i mention the hyatt has a ton of kids - is noisy.....

sheraton also much more spread out, low-rise.

(scuba girl correct on all counts)

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
147 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hyatt or Westin for June Honeymoon

spelling error replace "sheraton" caters to kids above with "Hyatt"....sorry!