We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone familiar with Island Air?

Ohio
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Anyone familiar with Island Air?

Has anyone experienced flying on Island Air? I booked a flight on them from Maui-Honolulu and it was only $38.00! I just wanted see if anyone has experienced flying on them before.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
11,181 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone familiar with Island Air?

Island Air is a small carrier (about a 7 plane fleet) which specializes in serving the smaller airports in the islands (Molokai, Lanai, Kapalua, etc.).

It flies twin engine, turbo-prop planes (not jets) out of the "commuter terminals" of the larger airports, not the main terminals. In Kahului, the commuter terminal is makai (oceanward) of the main terminal, well past the baggage claim area. In Honolulu, it is mauka (inland) from the Aloha/Hawaiian interisland terminal.

They are friendly and provide solid, typically on-time service. And, because they fly out of the smaller, lesser (rarely?) used terminals, check-in and security are a total breeze.

However, the prop planes are slower, noisier, and more subject to turbulence because they fly at a lower altitude. The planes hold about 28 persons, and seating is tight...the seats are "much" smaller than on a jet aircraft, and overhead space is much less.

Our firm uses Island Air regularly when going to out of the way airports and I flew them just a couple weeks ago to Kapalua...everything was fine.

Mentioned in this post
Molokai
Molokai
Hawaii
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Ohio
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone familiar with Island Air?

Great, thanks. I was just curious since it was so cheap. It is a short flight so it should be fine. Thanks for the info!

Maui
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone familiar with Island Air?

Hey MT: Are you flying Maui to Honolulu then connecting on another flight to the mainland? If so, you will need to claim your bags, as you will need to go thru AG inspection. The commuter terminal at Maui does not have an inspection station.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Ohio
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone familiar with Island Air?

No, I am actually flying to Maui and spending a few days there then flying Island Air to Honolulu and spending a few days there. Thanks for the tip though.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Molokai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone familiar with Island Air?

island air, (aloha airlines) has planes much bigger maybe 50 passengers, flying out of our ho'olehua airport. it has regularly scheduled flights with lots of choices while the tiny planes like molokai airshuttle are on-demand unscheduled, but cheaper than island air's regularly priced fares.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
11,181 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone familiar with Island Air?

Well Hale, we can split the difference....

According to their website:

"Island Air operates a fleet of eight 37-seat de Havilland DASH-8 turboprop aircraft. These airplanes provide reliable, on-time service to all destinations. Because we fly at lower altitudes than jets, our passengers are afforded an unparalleled view of the Islands, pristine coastlines and frolicking whales."

But in order to get that many on the plane, they must pack'em six across that back row and tie a couple to the wings...

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
11,181 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone familiar with Island Air?

Also...

Island Air, which used to be Princeville Air (for all you old-timers), is no longer associated with Aloha Airlines. It became independent in May 2004.

Mentioned in this post
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone familiar with Island Air?

Don't know if it will be a problem for you, but Island Air has a total checked baggage weight limit of "only" 50 lbs; significantly less than, for example, Hawaiian Airlines.

Ohio
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone familiar with Island Air?

Do you know if you have to pay extra if you go over the 50lbs like most airlines do? Or are you just not allowed since I am guessing it is a small plane.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone familiar with Island Air?

We were over by a fair amount, earlier this year, on a flight from Hilo to Kahalui. The plane wasn't full so they just "looked the other way". I would imagine that a capacity load results in placement on the next available flight, but seems reasonable that there would be a charge. Unless you hear from someone else, you should probably see if their website details charge; or call Island's "800" #.

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI