We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whales in November?

Spokane,Washington
7 posts
Save Topic
Whales in November?

My husband and I are headed for our first trip to Maui Nov. 9-17.. any chance of seeing whales that time of year?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
68 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whales in November?

You should definitely see whales while you're in Maui. Keep in mind that most whale watching companies offer a guarantee that if, for some reason you don't see any on your trip, you can come back again before you end your vacation to try again.

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
215 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whales in November?

Aloha,

THe whales will be mostly still arriving, so seeing a whale or two is not likely. I have not seen the "official" siting report yet in the Maui News.

The whale watching season for the boats starts on Dec. 1st. You may see them if you go to MacGregor point and hang out for a while.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Whales in November?

The first whales, usually juveniles, arrive at the end of October. The pregnant whales are the last to arrive, around mid-Deceember. The first juvenile sighting in Hawaiian waters was the past week. No official sightings yet off of Maui.

Whale season offically kicks off on Nov 27 with the Pacific Whale Foundation's Welcome to the Whales cruises, but we'll have sightings between now and then. You might see a whale from shore, but you have a better chance that early in the season on a sunset cruise. No one will be doing whale watches yet, but the whales are still out there and when one boat sights one, they let the others know. If you are in the vicinity, most likely your captain will make an effort to take you near the place where the whale was sighted. This is more likely with a sunset cruise, since snorkel boats have a specific destination, but the evening cruises are just out for run.

Maui
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Whales in November?

Whales have just recently been sighted off of MacGregor's point. More will follow. Watching whales from the shore and on whale watching trips is very exciting and worth while. Enjoy.

Virginia Beach, VA
Level Contributor
446 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whales in November?

I am actually getting ready to go to Maui the 21st of December. We are planning on doing a whale watching excursion but was wondering if there was a specific time of day that is better than another to increase our chances of actually seeing whales.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Whales in November?

They are easier to see during the day. ;-p

Virginia Beach, VA
Level Contributor
446 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whales in November?

I pretty much figured they would be easier to see during the day, but I was wondering if there was a specific time of day, as in first thing in the morning or the late afternoon.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Whales in November?

They are out there all the time.

Virginia Beach, VA
Level Contributor
446 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whales in November?

Thanks for responding so quickly. We wanted to book this excursion today/tomorrow and was hoping to find something out as soon as possible. My question may have sounded stupid, but I know that you have a better chance of spotting sharks during the early morning or late afternoon hours. Although I realize that whales are not carnivores and they feed whenever, I didn't know if there was a certain time of day that they were more active. I've read that even though it is the season to spot them, there have been excurions that go out and see nothing. Thanks again for getting back so quickly. I can book this with a little more confidence now.

Virginia Beach, VA
Level Contributor
446 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whales in November?

kaiwahine - I was wondering if you had any advice regarding whale watching and snorkel tour companies. I've been researching a lot of companies and as far as whale watching goes, it appears as though the Pacific Whale Organization is the way to go, although I've found mixed reviews regarding snorkeing tour companies. I've read several reviews that also recommend the Pacific Whale Organizationa and have negative remarks regarding Paragon. Others seem to highly recommend Paragon and have negative remarks about the Pacific Whale Organization. I realize that there are a lot of other companies, but based on my reading, these seem to be the two that stand out. I know you may know of others and I would really appreciate ANY input that you have regarding these companies or any others that you might recommend over them. Thanks.