We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton vs Westin

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
54 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Sheraton vs Westin

Wanting to celebrate our 25th anniversary in Maui and being Starwood junkies and adults, would like to know which of two hotels is better suited for adults? We travel a lot and are rather spoiled and therefore would prefer the more "upper crust" hotel preferably without too many kids. We plan to go in mid September. Any advise from an expert would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheraton vs Westin

Welcome to the forum! Both great properties! I like the Sheraton better, a little quieter on the widest part of the beach. You might take a look at the Westin Villas as well. Basically condos with full resort facilities. Gorgeous place.

This question gets asked several times a week...hit the search engine for more opinions.

Mentioned in this post
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali
The Westin Maui Resort...
5,626 Reviews
Maui, HI
Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
96 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheraton vs Westin

On this Board, the answer tends to be: The Sheraton. I strongly take the opposing position, *particularly* if you are spoiled. You should stay at the Westin, with a caveat.

The Westin just does a better job of making you feel spoiled. At the Sheraton, they actually give you tokens that you have to trade each day for towels. The Sheraton can also leave you having to walk 10 minutes and take three elevators (literally) just to get down to the beach -- and that's from the best ocean-front rooms. The Westin staff has its act together better, and the food (poolside for lunch, as well as buffet for breakfast) is superior at the Westin. I also think the Westin's central location is better. And the Westin's pools are vastly superior. In mid-September, too many kids won't be an issue. The Sheraton, of course, is on Black Rock (great snorkling) and has a superior beach. True. But the Westin beach is good too.

The background of this is that I stayed at the Westin in September 2001, August 2005, and October 2007, and the Sheraton in November 2008. I too am a Starwood junkie, and all those stays were free, except the first one.

The caveat: Neither of these hotels will *really* make you feel spoiled. For a special experience, even if it's just for the last two nights of your trip, I recommend that you splurge for the Four Seasons in Wailea. You won't regret it.

Mentioned in this post
5,626 Reviews
Maui, HI
The Spa at Black Rock
The Spa at Black Rock
831 Reviews
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Texas
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheraton vs Westin

I know you asked about the Sheraton vs Westin; however, being spoiled and preferring a more "upper crust" hotel you might think about the Four Seasons Maui for a 25th anniversary. It sounds more like what you might be looking for being the best resort hotel on Maui.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
54 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheraton vs Westin

Thank you all for your wisdom! The reason we were thinking of staying at the Starwood properties was that those points were piling up! Will have to make some decisions based on all your comments. Many thanks.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sheraton vs Westin

I repeat Kira...check out the Villas! Think they have "points offer" right now. It comes and goes (as you know)...I would probably even call Florida and see what you can get! Good luck!

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
54 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sheraton vs Westin

Will definitely check the villas - its a great suggestion. Thank your for your advice.

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
58,350 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sheraton vs Westin

I second the Villas and would choose the Sheraton over the Westin. I stayed at the Westin last year and was very disappointed. The Sheraton has nicer grounds and if you can swing Black Rock it isn't even a contest.

Mentioned in this post
5,626 Reviews
Maui, HI
The Spa at Black Rock
The Spa at Black Rock
831 Reviews
Maui, HI
San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
54 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sheraton vs Westin

All of you who respond to my question are wonderful! Thank you so much for your suggestion. I think Westin is OUT for sure! We decided to spend 4 days at the Sheraton and 3 at the Four Seasons.

9. Re: Sheraton vs Westin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:43 am, November 24, 2009