We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how is the drive around Maui

british columbia...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
how is the drive around Maui

Hi all...We are going to Kaanapali for 11 days in November. We were wondering what the drive around Maui is like. Would it be okay in a rental car? How long does it take?

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
123 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how is the drive around Maui

Hi;

You will probably want to break your drive around into 3 distinct trips. From where you are you can drive the West Maui Mountains. Door to door would probably take you 3-4 hours with stops. The more spectacular trip is around Haleakela volcano which takes you to Hana and back. I have never done the trip in under 8 hours. And any passangers that get car sick will not enjoy the trip. The third leg is to the top of the crater which is another fantastic trip. I would plan for 4-5 hours for that trip. Car rentals are easy (book over the internet before you go) In fact, I would strongly suggest having a car for the whole trip - nothing is walking distance.

West Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how is the drive around Maui

My husband and I made the drive about 10 years ago. At that time, it was frowned upon. In fact, I think it voided the rental agreement if the car broke down or was damaged on the "windward" side of the island. There was one bridge that was getting pounded by waves. I was terrified! We made it, by the grace of God. But in our five trips there, I have asked NEVER to take the trip around again. The roads may be more complete now. I would check with the car rental company. I would not do it with young children.

calif
Level Contributor
190 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how is the drive around Maui

The drive/drives are not to be missed, road to Hana & beyond is one of those drives that you will remember forever, as one of the best... most scenic & memorable. Yes you can drive all the way around.

The same thing can be said for the west Maui drive.

Road to Hana & beyond 8 plus hours

West Maui drive 4 plus hours

Kihei, Hawaii
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: how is the drive around Maui

I agree with the other posts. Split it up and I'd suggest a test drive up the North part of West Maui from Kaanapali. It's short, but will give you an idea of the gorgeous, cliffside, one lane road driving you'll encounter. We love it, our friends have hated it. No need to go all the way around either, drive as far as the art gallery and they turn around if you'd like . If you want to keep going follow it to Kahului and then to Paia which is a great stop and has restaurants and 2 miles past that is world class windsurfing and surfing of Hookipa which most tend to love if the conditions are right. The road to Hana is fabulous, I'd recommend keeping going too, but keep in mind it gets a little rough and there are very very few rest areas for your kids if they need them. Leave early and go on a weekday. The trip to Kula and Haleakala is great, but will be very cold and the road is switch backs all the way which had one of our friends a little sick before we got to the top so we turned around

madison, WI
Level Contributor
109 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how is the drive around Maui

Maui Mark,

I just read what you had to say about the switchbacks and could you please tell me what that is? I just posted a question about the very drive you are speaking about. It was lengthy and under the ziplining remark. If possible would you please take a look at it. It sounds like you know what you're talking about and might best answer my question. Thanks

Kihei, Hawaii
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: how is the drive around Maui

Aloha BigRedBadger,

I'll get to the other post tomorrow as my wife, dog and I are off to the beach for some boogie boardind and snorkeling :) Switchbacks are roads that go up steep mountains that go a while one way and then switch back the other way, and then back again and back again and .... you get the picture. The mountain is steep, but the road is good and safe. That said - turn around if it is raining hard - we went up one morning and it was pouring, the road filled up with about 6 inches of rain moving down the mountain like a small river. We are adventurous and had a jeep, but kept seeing all these cars coming down the mountain at 4am and wondered how there could be so much traffic - first time there so it didn't hit us - they were all turning around when at the top. It was incredibly windy(~60mph) with clouds coming over the top and basically that mean no nice sunrise as you are in the clouds and it only gets brighter. We turned around and went back to Lahaina. They closed the park about an hour after we left - THIS WAS NOT USUAL! Don't want to scare you ... just be sure there isn't a storm the day you are going or if there is turn around. I'll reply more to your other posts later - happy 4th!

EdV
San Francisco
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: how is the drive around Maui

Hi;

We are going to Maui (Condo) near Lahaina, with our 7 yr old and our 4 1/2 yr old.

What things are you planning? I am trying to find some reasonable things to do, for the family.

EdV
San Francisco
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: how is the drive around Maui

Hi;

We are going in August, with our 2 kids; 7 & 4 1/2. What have you found to do?

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: how is the drive around Maui

We did the road to Hana less than a week ago. We only had 5 days on Maui as we were island hopping, so we were somewhat hesitant to commit an entire day, but after talking with some other couples decided to give it a shot. We left Kaanapali at 7am that morning and made it to Hana around 12pm, with a multitude of stops along the way. I would recommend going all the way around rather than backtracking the way you came. The road, while unpaved for about 5-10 miles, is not a problem at all. It is rather narrow in some places once you get plast the Pools, but we did it easily in a Dodge Stratus. Plus, seeing the backside of the volcano is awesome. Very barren and almost surreal. It's 180 degrees different from what the drive to Hana is like. My wife has a tendency to get carsick sometimes, but she was perfectly fine. She just took a motion sickness pill before we started. You really will be happy with your decision after you do it.

Buffalo
Level Contributor
462 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how is the drive around Maui

We enjoyed the ride to Ioa valley. We left really early (like 6:15) from Kihei. We stopped for breakfast and then made our way to Ioa. What a treat, it was really Hot that day but nice and cool and lush at the park. It was not crowded at all and there were many kids running around and exploring on their own. It is kind of spooky considering the history of the location. Coming back though we had a taste of Maui traffic. We thought there must have been an accident or something but no...that is the normal state. I didn't care-I was on vacay