We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches

michigan
Level Contributor
250 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches

Hi, can anyone tell me how the beach is at Hololani Resort?

and how far the resort is from the airport? Are their thing to do close to the Resort? Thank you

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,676 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches

Hi. Do you have a good map of West Maui, one that shows where all of the hotels are located? Friends of mine stayed at the Hololani in Feb., and I know they were happy with it.

I have always stayed a bit south of the Hololani in the Kaanapali Beach area. You will not be far from Lahaina(south of the Hololani) and you will love Lahaina. Lots of shops and places to eat. On Maui there are a lot of things to do. If you are into wanting to really see Maui, you probably won't be spending a lot of time at the Hololani. I can get more details on the Hololani if you'd like. Just post a reply to my message.

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,676 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches

Forgot this......the map will show you two ways to get from the airport to west Maui(where you will be staying). I have only taken the southern route which is such that the ocean is on my left and we pass by Lahaina on the left. It is about a 45 min. drive. Get good directions before you leave the airport for whichever route you decide to take.....and have a good map of Maui. I have heard that the other route is quite beautiful.

michigan
Level Contributor
250 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches

Patti, Thank you. what ever info you could get me would be wonderful we arn't going untill 12-05 so I have lots of time to make my decision . we are taking 2 20 year with us that love to shop and hang out at the beach so that is why I had question about the water at the Holoani Resort. You are also from Michigan I was wondering do you have a certin airlines you use when to travel to Maui and do you use DTW well thank you for the help. Kellie

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,676 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches

Kellie-Jo, traveling between the islands we have used either Aloha airlines or Hawaiian airlines. They both have websites. Those are pretty much the only two to use for inter-island travel. We have always flown out from Detroit Metro airport and used Northwest airlines.(we have frequent flyer accounts with NW). You are very wise to be planning your trip now. There is a lot to learn about Hawaii, not to mention your hotel/car/flights. Will you be spending any time on another island? Maui is great! We have been to four of the islands. I'd love to go back and do just Maui and slow our pace down a bit. Your daughters will have a good amount to do. When on Maui, you will find that it's just fun to "hang out" in Lahaina. A book I highly recommend is Maui Revealed. You can find it at any large bookstore. It is money well spent. There are Revealed books for the other islands too. When you buy the book(s), you will then be able to access a website and look at hotels and see aerial views of how each one is laid out. I cannot say enough about these books! I will make a call to my friend who stayed at the Hololani and find out how the beach is there.

michigan
Level Contributor
250 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches

Patti, Thank you for you help. Kellie

Boston
Level Contributor
421 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches

Don't even think about taking the northern route from the airport (through Wailuku). This is a scenic route that is only one lane for part of the route so that two cars can pass only if one backs up. It is also longer and takes at least 2 hours. The ONLY route from the airport to Kahana is the southern route through Lahaina (about 40 minutes). Just follow the signs to Lahaina.

The beach is not very good at Hololani. Also it is a very quiet area. If you want a great beach and you want to be near the action for a couple of 20 years old you should be a little bit further south in Kaanapali.

michigan
Level Contributor
250 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaches

Rusty, any suggestion on a two bedroom condo in that area?

on the water .

Boston
Level Contributor
421 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaches

There are only a few beachfront condos in Kaanapali: The Whaler, Kaanapalii Alii, and Kaanapali Villas. The Alii is expensive and the other two are more moderately priced. The Whaler is right in the middle of the beach and right next to Whalers Village, an open air mall with stores, restaurants, etc. Condos in Kaanapalii are more expensive than those further north in the area of the Hololani.

Condos in Kaanapali ar