We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best of Five

UK
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
Best of Five

Hi,

after researching condos, hotels and resorts on Maui my wife and I have narrowed the list down to 5. The order is from best to last using reviews and comments made by other visitors.

1. Hololani Resort

2. Mana Kai Maui

3. Valley Isle Resort

4. Napili Bay Resort

5. Aston Maui Hill

We are excitedly planning a holiday at one of these hotels, most probably Hololani Resort, this September and would like to know whether our choice will reward us with a memorable time. Our intention is mainly to relax and to see Maui. We want somewhere quiet with oceanfront views to a swimmable beach and near to good and not too expensive restaurants.

So if you have stayed at one or two or more of these places recently, or are Hawaiian (I wish), and know something of them, which out of the five would you say would be best for our requirements. Even better, if possible, would be a rearrangement of the 5 hotels into your percieved best first order.

I am crossing my fingers with the hope that there are some members in this wise and helpful community who can help us out with this final step.

Many thanks in advance.

Raymond

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hololani Resort
Hololani Resort
170 Reviews
Maui, HI
Valley Isle Resort
Valley Isle Resort
408 Reviews
Maui, HI
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,185 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best of Five

Aloha!

I do not know about these hotels, but thought I would add another thought. When on my honeymoon last year, we stayed at a lovely B&B in the Kihei area. It was one of the most well thought out and planned accommodations I have stayed at. The folks that run this B&B have just added an oceanfront condo to their accommodations. It's located at one of the nicest beaches in Kihei.

Their website is called Dreams Come True on Maui. It has pictures, rates, calendars, etc. (www.maui.net/~tcroly). Tom, the owner, has mentioned that September is one of his favorite times, as it's the shoulder season for Maui. I imagine that it won't be as crowded and you will find lots of peace and quiet.

Have a wonderful vacation! :)

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best of Five

I haven't stayed on any of the places you listed but I can recommend the following that we have stayed at. The Mahana at Kaanapali, Wailea Ekahi Village, Wailea Elua Village and Sugar Beach Resort. We have friends that stay at maui Kamaole and love it and friends who live at Grand Champions and it's very nice. The Mana kai is right next to the Mahana, a lot of people on this furom really love it. It is right on top of the ocean.

Mission Kansas
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best of Five

Hula,

Ooops, we need to have those two resorts change their names, everyone is always confusing them! I think you meant Maui Kai and Ray asked about Mana Kai....

( Notices this since I was getting confused before leaving to stay at the Maui Kai! )

Mentioned in this post
Maui Kai
Maui Kai
1,148 Reviews
Maui, HI
UK
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best of Five

Many thanks to all for the responses.

I had a look at Maui Kai Beach Resort again and do not know why I missed it the first time round. The majority of people who have visited give it a 5 star rating and there are quite a few.

This has been enough to sway our decision. We are now looking to stay at the Maui Kai.

However our dilemma at the moment is whether to book through owners or an agent. We have found that most of the owner offered rooms which have good reviews on here are booked out for the times we are going. Our first choice would be to book through an owner but if we have not been able to find one. Our worry is if we book through an agent we get the room assigned to us on check in and cannot guarantee its quality.

What do you guys think? Should we perservere with trying to find an owner and if so how?

Mentioned in this post
Maui Kai
Maui Kai
1,148 Reviews
Maui, HI
Mission Kansas
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best of Five

Sunseeker,

We booked Maui Kai for the week of May 2 thorough the 9th and because we decided on condos late in he process, we couldnt find any through owners. But by going through the booking agency we got a one night free ( if you were staying five days or more ) deal, making a corner one bedroom less than 180 a night. That included housekeeping every day.

We were very pleased with the quality of the condo, updated kitchen and bath and the rest of the condo was very nice too. My only complaint was that they had closed in the Lanai to make the living room bigger when the condo was already over 800 sq feet. I would go back in a flash but next time around I would make sure I had an open Lanai so we could sit in the open air to gaze out at the ocean or eat a meal. I did miss having that option. Otherwise, the place was perfect!

Mentioned in this post
Maui Kai
Maui Kai
1,148 Reviews
Maui, HI
UK
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best of Five

It looks like we might have to book through www.mauikai.com. Is this where you made your booking MauiHereIcome?

Out of interest what was the condo number in which you stayed?

I guess if you managed to get a good room in May we should be able to manage during September which is low season. It would be nice though to book through an owner, just does not seem possible right now.

Mission Kansas
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best of Five

Sunseeker,

Yes, we booked through the resort so I assume its the same. We were in unit 808 and its a corner unit which we requested. The kitchen looks brand new, and the bathroom had a wonderful glassed in HUGE shower. The rest of the one bedroom condo looks updated and was very comfortable.

The only caveat I would have about that particular condo is the closing in of the lanai....its all glass now and you can only open the front window to look out and down. The view through the glass side is to the North are beautiful but I really wanted to be able to sit "outside" and feel the breezes while I ate. Other than that, the place was perfect for our needs.