We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What we should do

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
150 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What we should do

Hi,

We arecoming to maui in June,

1. what should we do

2. what is teh best snorkling trip

3. do we need to hire a car

Hubby is whale and dolphin mad, is tehre anything that he should not miss

cheers

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,509 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What we should do

Not sure what all you like to do so it is hard to say what you should do.

Some might disagree but the best organized snorkel trip is out to Molokini crater in my opinion. You can rent snorkel gear and explore any number of spots off the numerous beaches.

Yes you need to hire a car. The cost of taxi's or most shuttles will end up being a lot more than the rent on a car.

seattle
Level Contributor
2,039 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What we should do

Welcome: BB has said it. A rental car is needed. Also let us know what you like to do or are thinking about trying. We will give you all the help we can.

uk
Level Contributor
150 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What we should do

Thanks for that,

we really dont have anything in mind. There are four of us and we are pretty much up for anything, that involves having a laugh.

just looking forward to relaxing, we are spending two weeks in florida prior to coming to maui

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What we should do

I doubt you will see whales in June (season is Nov-Mar and a bit on either side of that). There is a wonderful whaling museum in the Whaler's Village shopping center - it's really a top-knotch museum. There is also a wonderful whale exhibit at the Maui Ocean Center (aquarium) and the Pacific Whale foundation is there - a non-profit agency devoted to whales and marine life.

I prefer to snorkel from the beach, but many do enjoy the trips to Molokini, and if you want to see dolphins, a trip to Lanai would be in order.

Seach for a check the post "top three things to do" . Iao Valley is a must see and/or the road to Hana (all day trip).

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,509 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What we should do

Hire a convertable and spend the day driving to Hana...it is very scenic.

You will want to spend at least one day exploring Lahina...that is where the majority of the nightlife is too.

minnesota
Level Contributor
33 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What we should do

to see dolphins you may want to take a trip to Lanai but if your husband is really into seeing whales he may want to take an island hopper to the the big island - look up dolphin discoveries and there is another whale site on the internet but I can't remember it right now - there are more whales around the big island this time of year - the humpbacks are either on their way or back to Alaksa now- the best time to see whales on Maui are between December and March when they come to have their calves.

Bradford...
Level Contributor
38 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What we should do

We Went in March. Here are my suggestions:

Absolute Best thing you can do is to buy Maui Revealed. We used this book while on Maui and it was right on the mark for our entire vacation. Also, Maui is very expensive. We followed the advise in the book and did most things on our own, saved tons of money, had a great time, and we could come/go as we wanted (I have an aversion to tours, people, mercy of guides). With the book it was easy.

1. If you like snorkeling then rent gear from a local shop (Maui Dive Shop is very good-CLEAN equipment, many locations, and reasonable) for the week. Then you can go as much as you want. We tried a new location each morning as a way to start our day. We found that each site had uniuqueness - one for swimming with turtles, each one had different species, etc. Taking the fish card that you get with the rental into the water with you adds to your enjoyment. We got a small snorkeling/diving magazine produced by the Dive Shop that identified the best snorkeling sites. This was sufficient. Also, if you rent for the week ($20 something?) you get a free offshore trip (Molikini).

2. Halahkala at sunrise. IF you can get up early enough to be at the top by sunrise (5:45-6:00) this is an awesome (but COLD) experience. Take blankets from the hotel to wrap up in. Eat at Charlies in Piai on your way back.

3. The drive to Hana gets mixed reviews. It takes ALL DAY. Many people advise starting early. We left mid-to late morning from Lahaina and I think it was better because you missed the morning rush. If you buy the Maui Revealed book stop at the (remote/private) waterfalls they point out. If you go ABSOLUTELY go all the way around and don't turn around and go back the way you came. I thought the BEST part of Hana was the back side. Some outdated material advise that the road is not drivable. We rented a Mercury Sable and it was bumpy but drivable. Make sure you have plenty of gas and I wouldn't make the trip if it is getting dark.

Have fun - Aloha

Indiana
Level Contributor
52 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What we should do

We were in Maui Apr 23-30. We had a Whale Watching tour booked & it was cancelled. While we were on our snorkeling tour the captain did spot a mother & baby in the distance, but they were about all left. I was just so happy to get to see the whales. We took the Quicksilver snorkeling trip to Molikini & Turtle Town, VERY enjoyable. If you want to see dolphins you will have to go to Lanai, didn't see a one on Maui.

Getting Maui Revealed helped us a great deal. We took the road to Hana and left our hotel in the Kaanapali area around 7am & did most of the waterfall hikes that was in the book, took a picnic lunch, went all the way around & we got back to Kaanapali around 8:30pm. It was a LONG day, but worth it.

We REALLY enjoyed going to Front Street in Lahania. So many fun little shops & neat little places to eat. We enjoyed it so much, spent 3 of our 7 nights there.

My one piece of advice is to take your time & enjoy the sights.

You MUST have a car & Maui is perfect for a convertible.

I envy you, wish I was going back! My husband & I travel a lot and we both thought Maui was our favorite vacation spot!

Mission Kansas
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What we should do

Hints for Road to Hana:

DO NOT USE THE AUDIO TAPE and MAUI REVEALED or you will be so exhausted that you will want to be paid for your time! We finally gave up up on both after risking our life lunging out of the car to check out yet another dried up waterfall and just winged it. By far the best stop before you head down the back side is the state park with the amazing black beach....the view from above is breathtaking and the beah itself with its smooth black stones and lava tubes boarding both ends makes for great pictures! ( Ok, I admit it, my husband and I are amatuer photographers so many of our favorite spots are based on how beatiful they look through the viewfinder! )

Stop in first town after Bamboo forrest and buy the fresh baked, warm out of the oven Banana Bread......and eat it right there so you have an excuse to buy another!

If you rent a convertible, and I highly reccomend it for both the Hana tour and just rubbernecking your way through all of Maui........do not, I repeat, do not let your husband, boyfriend, brother or father, lock the keys in the trunk of the car!! We naively called Alamo instead of 911 and had to pay the locksmith they reccomended a whopping 300 DOLLARS to come get us on the road again! Did I mention my "honey" did this in the middle of the trip to Hana????

Not even this almost 3 hour delay and money we could have spent on 30 more doodads, ruined a great day. But start early and cut your losses if it hasnt rained recently, looking for mini waterfalls isnt the only fun thing to see on this special trip.

Enjoy!

Burbank, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What we should do

Just got back from Maui three days ago.

I fully agree with Magabi. The best part of the Hana drive is around the south side of the island, where you can see the back of Haleakala and the amazing results of lava flow. The free tourist magazines and and car rental companies try to discourage it but I say do it anyway. There are short dirt sections and some old asphalt that's been repaired *many* times, but soon after leaving the Park you'll have brand new asphalt until you get to Upcountry.

The drive around the north shore of the western half of the island is almost as good. There are some old villages up there that look like they haven't changed much for 100 years.

Make sure you go clockwise around each half or you will probably encounter a lot of opposing traffic-- not good on the stretches that are only one lane wide.

If you want a good game during your road trip, try counting all the abandoned vehicles...