We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

laws in Maui

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sparwood, B.C.
Level Contributor
552 posts
Save Topic
laws in Maui

What are the laws in Maui regarding alcohol? Can one enjoy a drink on the beach? How about poolside wherever you are staying?

Maui
Level Contributor
399 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: laws in Maui

Not allowed to drink alcohol in public parks and beaches. However, the police generally don't enforce this if you are discreet and not disorderly (so, pour your beer or wine into cups so it's not obvious, and don't get roaring drunk). Private property is legal, so it's up to the property manager to set the policy.

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: laws in Maui

Hmm... I am actually not sure what the laws are. Your resort or condo will have their rules listed poolside. We always take beer and wine to the beach. We keep in our cooler and I see many other people doing the same. I don't think they are very strict about alcohol on the beach, of course I have yet to see a police officer on the beach.

Remember most resorts and condos do not allow glass by the pool. Many resorts have poolside cocktail service. We always stay in a condo so we just mix them up ourselves and bring them down.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
807 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: laws in Maui

I think the laws are pretty much the same as all the rest of the states. Try to disguise your drinks in public places and don`t act foolish and you should be just fine. No glasses allowed at poolside of course. As long as you be good they are pretty casual.

when are you going?

California
Level Contributor
907 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: laws in Maui

Please, no glass at the beach.

Sparwood, B.C.
Level Contributor
552 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: laws in Maui

aloha4now: We aren't going until next January and it is driving me crazy having to wait this long!!! I am just checking out everything for now. No plans to get out of control on the beach or poolside - getting too old for that! Just plan to have a relaxing enjoyable time.

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: laws in Maui

So, if we go to the Old Lahaina Luau and take great advantage of the free unlimited Mai Tais, should we get in our Jeep and drive or sit around til we sober up. We obviously wouldn't drive if we were drunk, but I consider the legal limit and being drunk two COMPLETELY different things. Here in Arkansas we can have 2 drinks and be quivering in our panties about driving because the cops around here are Hitler's soldiers and have nothing better to do. So, should we take a cab to the Luau and other places we will have a few drinks or is it safe to drive after having a couple?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: laws in Maui

Never been to a resort that doesn't allow alchohol poolside...just no glass. They will serve you whatever you want by the pool and they have pool bars as well.

Sparwood, B.C.
Level Contributor
552 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: laws in Maui

csimco: Somewhere else on this forum someone talked about not drinking and driving in Lahaina as they often set up roadblocks watching for this. It is always safer to take a taxi if you are both going to be drinking. It just isn't worth the risk.

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: laws in Maui

Yeah, you're right. Its a bummer for us because we drink everywhere we go at night when on vacation. We don't get drunk, at least not that often. We didn't have to worry about police in Aruba, and were able to go out worry free. Oh well, I guess we'll take a taxi.

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: laws in Maui

csimco;

I applaud the taxi idea.

I do not drink so I do not look at this issue in the same light.

I hope you take this as it is intended, a discussion and not an indictment.

It would be interesting to see just how impaired you are at the end of the evening. You certainly are not the only people who use alchohol while on vacation so this would apply to any number of people.

I know everyones tolerance to alchohol is different but we see a lot of people leaving the dinner cruises, restaurants, etc. and we can only hope that they have someone taking them home.

This obviously applies to a lot more places than Maui and my question is, how do you or anyone else know that you are not too impaired to be driving?