We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seven sacred pools

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
319 posts
94 reviews
Seven sacred pools

How far is it from Hana proper to Seven Sacred Pools? TIA

23 replies to this topic
Maui
Level Contributor
71,098 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: Seven sacred pools

About 20 minutes, maybe 30 if there's a lot of traffic.

BTW--they aren't "sacred". Never were, still aren't, LOL. That was a nickname and myth created by the first marketing manager of the old Hana Hotel, to draw business.

They are called the Pools of Oheo.

Do know that they will be closed for swimming by the Park Service if there are questions of flash flooding or the water is already too high.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
319 posts
94 reviews
2. Re: Seven sacred pools

Thanks. Lol on the name!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Seven sacred pools

Can't we just let them call it 7 Sacred Pools? It's in every guide book that way. Even the politically correct ones that tell you it's not the real name. I'm sure the area is sacred to somebody, even if not to the Hawaiians. It's been a long time since I went past the second one, but there must be at least seven. Heck, every part of Maui is sacred to somebody. I like my house. I like the calm waters off of Wailea Beach in the morning. If I ever make it to Oheo Gulch again when nobody else is there, I'm sure it will be right up there for me.

4. Re: Seven sacred pools

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:38 pm, July 23, 2016
Edited: 6:38 pm, July 23, 2016

Maui
Level Contributor
71,098 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Seven sacred pools

LOL, Sunny, there are actually more than 20 if you started waaaaaay up top.

Re the name-almost 20 years ago the National Park Service was the organization that called for the name to be killed off. They even barred tour operators from access if they advertised it wrongly.

I hardly think it's a bad thing to let people know what the right name is............why so angry? I didn't threaten poor OKC, for heaven's sake!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,602 posts
312 reviews
6. Re: Seven sacred pools

Apparently accurate toponomy is a more.

Maui
Level Contributor
71,098 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: Seven sacred pools

No............and I don't appreciate being attacked either.

I explained the source of the name and *why* it was nicknamed that. I'm hardly a stickler for every correct Hawaiian name, because most of us here on Maui use the "slang" names for beaches and other places, too.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Seven sacred pools

Was the angry question directed at the post after mine (deleted before I read it) or mine? I hope mine didn't look angry. I was really asking. Everything in New Zealand has at least two names (often more). Many of the Maori names are sort of made up by early Europeans wanting to appear cultured...or perhaps wanting to make Maori seem more European. Aotearoa, for instance, was in text books as the Maori name for New Zealand...some iwi called the North Island Aotearoa...but Maori were not in the business of naming countries. The concept just didn't exist.

The reaction every time calls it 7 Sacred Pools just seems a little jumpy. Places are called by what people call them. I don't see anyone objecting every time somebody mentions Big Beach, even though that is not its real name.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
52,717 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Seven sacred pools

When I was doing my ocean awareness classes both on Maui and Oahu, each course had an Hawaiian cultural expert born on each island. One of the main things they stressed was using the proper, actual Hawaiian name for places, beaches, areas etc. Not only does using the Hawaiian names help perpetuate the host culture it is also a sign of respect.

Maui
Level Contributor
71,098 posts
18 reviews
10. Re: Seven sacred pools

I didn't see that post either, Sunny. And yes-I took your post as being angry.

Hawaiians named almost everything. Some names still exists, many don't. One reason to encourage the "proper" or correct name is to preserve the meaning of the place name. There are books and books about the place names of Hawaii, which can make for some really interesting reading.

I added "LOL" and "BTW" in my first reply for reasons. First, to let the OP know they weren't alone (geez, even TA can't get it right!), and second, to let her know no one was going to rap her knuckles with a ruler for using the invented name. I explained the history so she'd get a laugh, which I believe she did..............

See my reply in #7 for your comment about beaches. I could call every beach by one or more Hawaiian names, but don't 95% of the time-prob closer to 100. It's not that big a deal.

But fake names **do** irk me, I admit it-like "olivine pools" "7 sacred pools" and "dragon's teeth". Those place have real place names with meanings of their own and publicity from the 1950's *or* 2000's should use 'em :-). It's a way to preserve and protect a language and culture :-).

Edited: 7:07 pm, July 23, 2016
Reply to: Seven sacred pools
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kula