We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kula Lodge - overhyped? Recommend alternatives

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Kula Lodge - overhyped? Recommend alternatives

I tried to book on open table but it seems there's no date available at 8:30am every day for the next 2 months which is impossible. The reviews and advice from here say it's just for the views, and the food is just mediocre. Why can't I book it?

Anyway, what are recommended alternatives for a breakfast/brunch after coming down from seeing the sunrise and a short peek over the lookout of trailing sands in the Kula or Makawao areas?

Thanks

14 replies to this topic
Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
369 posts
415 reviews
1. Re: Kula Lodge - overhyped? Recommend alternatives

Yep, it's all about the views (and the view is wonderful on clear day) the foods been going downhill every time I go for past several trips.. I guess it depends on your dates of visit, but I personally have never had an issue getting a table here, nor have I ever made a reservation. Maybe waited a few minutes but that's about it, almost every time I got seated right away. If you keep driving down and head into Paia, I love Charley's for breakfast. No view there though, but great breakfast.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
4,008 posts
130 reviews
2. Re: Kula Lodge - overhyped? Recommend alternatives

We never booked on OpenTable.....just showed up...and as above stated...waited a few minutes and got a table

Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Kula Lodge - overhyped? Recommend alternatives

We had a terrific dinner at Kula Bistro. Picked it out for the same reason ( actually TA'd it while sitting in the Kula Lodge parking lot...go figure). They have a lunch menu but we haven't tried it.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,307 posts
103 reviews
4. Re: Kula Lodge - overhyped? Recommend alternatives

Open Table doesn't have every table in the place. I would go and see if you get in.

5. Re: Kula Lodge - overhyped? Recommend alternatives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:52 am, April 08, 2017
Edited: 2:52 am, April 08, 2017

Duluth MN
Level Contributor
298 posts
6. Re: Kula Lodge - overhyped? Recommend alternatives

My wife and I ate at Kula Bistro last year and enjoyed it a lot. Great food, great service, decent prices. We ended up there after fog and drizzle bonked out cart tour at the Kula Lavender Farm.

Lee

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
7. Re: Kula Lodge - overhyped? Recommend alternatives

I have enjoyed several meals at Kula Lodge. The first meal, several years ago, was wonderful. The next three meals the company was better than the meals and The views were always stunning.

I ate lunch with a friend at Kula Bistro a couple years ago and both the meal and the company were equally fantastic. No views, but it didn't matter because the food was so good and the company was more interesting than the view. Deb

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,355 posts
22 reviews
8. Re: Kula Lodge - overhyped? Recommend alternatives

I agree with those who say Kula Lodge isn't as good as it used to be. It just hasn't been the same since they took fresh squeezed orange juice and locally cured bacon off the breakfast menu several years ago. It's decent, though, and I still prefer it to other options for the view and Upcountry ambiance. I also love shopping at the Kula Marketplace just down the driveway. The only place I like better is Colleen's in Haiku, which is one of those "no view/great food" options. At Kula Lodge I have never made a reservation and never had to wait. ( I think Open Table might be for dinner only?)

Edited: 1:02 pm, November 14, 2015
Maui
Level Contributor
73,909 posts
18 reviews
9. Re: Kula Lodge - overhyped? Recommend alternatives

Kula Lodge has a new chef, and is in the midst of major overhauls of the restaurant. The food has improved according to friends who live nearby-I haven't been.

They've never done rezzies for breakfast.

You might also look at Grandma's down in Ulupalakua.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
68 reviews
10. Re: Kula Lodge - overhyped? Recommend alternatives

We like the place. Great views and We've not had a bad meal there. We often spend our first night on the island at the lodge, and have both dinner and breakfast there. We'll be there next month, and looking forward to the new menu. And as Nick says - they don't take reservations for breakfast. If there happens to be a wait, grab a coffee and walk around the grounds.

Reply to: Kula Lodge - overhyped? Recommend alternatives
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kula