We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Wailea Maui or Four Seasons Maui Honeymoon??

Washington, DC
2 posts
Save Topic
Grand Wailea Maui or Four Seasons Maui Honeymoon??

Hello! We are currently debating which hotel to stay at for the second part of our Hawaii honeymoon. Our choices are the Grand Wailea or the Four Seasons in Maui - Any suggestions? We are going the the first week of October. I have read some issues regarding construction, crowds, etc....Any input is greatly appreciated as we plan our honeymoon. Also, ideas for must-do's welcomed as well (bike down at sunrise, road to hana, snorkel trips) . Thanks!

NC
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Wailea Maui or Four Seasons Maui Honeymoon??

My recommendation would be the Grand Wailea. Their Spa is one of the top in the World!!

If you are planning to stay in Wailea, you do not need to worry about crowds. Those you find in the Lahaina & Kaanapali area.

The Four Seasons is also very nice, however, very conservative. If that is what you like then that would be best suited for you.

There are so many activities to chose from when visiting Maui. It will depend on what your interests are. The company we worked with mauitravelservices.com offers a category called "Sylvia's Picks" with her activity recommendations that are linked to rates and info about each activity.

Congratulations on your upcoming Wedding. Very exciting!!

NC
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Wailea Maui or Four Seasons Maui Honeymoon??

My recommendation would be the Grand Wailea. Their Spa is one of the top in the World!!

If you are planning to stay in Wailea, you do not need to worry about crowds. Those you find in the Lahaina & Kaanapali area.

The Four Seasons is also very nice, however, very conservative. If that is what you like then that would be best suited for you.

There are so many activities to chose from when visiting Maui. It will depend on what your interests are. The company we worked with mauitravelservices.com offers a category called "Sylvia's Picks" with her activity recommendations that are linked to rates and info about each activity.

Congratulations on your upcoming Wedding. Very exciting!!

I KU MAU MAU
Level Contributor
788 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Wailea Maui or Four Seasons Maui Honeymoon??

Both are very nice properties. If it were my honeymoon, I'd book the 4S. It's just a cut above the GW in my opinion and the service is unreal. The only downside to the 4S would be the pool. It's not the elaborate pools of the GW or the Kea Lani and the people hanging out by the pool tend to be on their cell phones a lot. But if that doesn't really bother you or you don't plan to spend much time at the pool, then go for it. October is a beautiful time here.

Oh, by the way.......you don't have to be a guest at the GW to use their spa (it was one of the best on island). Just call and book it, they'll take anybodies $, guest or not.

Canada
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Wailea Maui or Four Seasons Maui Honeymoon??

Hi there - I have yet to travel to Maui (going there in May for my wedding!!!!), but I do know this one thing..my wedding planner had me change my location from the Grand Wailea to the Renaissance as the GW is under construction/renos. I do not know however, if they will be completed before October. What I would do if I were you is to try and get a straight answer from the hotel itself and if you wanted to go the extra bit, maybe even contact a wedding planner over in Maui and they would probably give you the most honest answer (if they would not book anything there at that time, then you know it prob. is a better idea to go with the Four Seasons). Hope this was of some help...and congrats!!

Orange County...
Level Contributor
531 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Wailea Maui or Four Seasons Maui Honeymoon??

I also heard that the Grand Wailea is building condos and the construction noise is horrible. The GW also has a pool area that is very attractive to children (slides etc.) so it's usually packed with families. The other problem is that they charge a lot of extras: resort fee somewhere around $25 a day, $125 a day to rent a cabana, valet parking fees too. At the Four Seasons cabanas are free, valet parking is free, free scuba lesson, free snorkel gear, bottled water, popsicles and frozen fruit by the pool,even Evian spritzes! If you're a Honeymooner they'll usually try to upgrade you and you may find champagne in your room when you arrive. You are treated like royalty at the Four Seasons, as you should be when you're on your Honeymoon. You're only doing it once so it should be an experience you'll never forget. The only problem with The Four Seasons is that everyone says once you stay there you'll never want to stay anywhere else!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Wailea Maui or Four Seasons Maui Honeymoon??

Four Seasons hands down... there's just no comparions really.

kohala coast, hawaii
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Wailea Maui or Four Seasons Maui Honeymoon??

i wouldn't bother asking anyone when the construction at the GW will be finished - as construction projects are notorious for running way behind schedule. no matter what they tell you as a completion date - add 6-9 months for a more realistic picture. I also vote for the 4S - it is nicer than the GW imo.

Maui
Level Contributor
399 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Wailea Maui or Four Seasons Maui Honeymoon??

The Grand Wailea is gorgeous, no doubt, but as the other poster mentioned, it is very popular with "families" (i.e. young kids) so for honeymoon, I'd go with four seasons.

Cupertino
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Wailea Maui or Four Seasons Maui Honeymoon??

Hi, I just spent my wedding/honeymoon trip at Four Seasons. Four Seasons is beautiful, classy and romantic. The service is excellent, everyone remembers your name wherever you go. We were greeted with a nice champaqne in our room for our honeymoon. The only negative thing is, we had a mountain side room, and could not get an upgrade because the hotel was so full. There was no view, and we only wish we had a ocean view, which I am sure would have made the trip perfect.

The resturant Ferraro by the seaside is a MUST. Book a dinner at 5:30pm, arrive early, and take the best seats by the seaside to watch the sun disappear into sea at 6pm. It is unbelievable.

The spa at Four Seasons is expensive and NOT RECOMMENDED. I tried a oceanside massage in one of those private huts by the beach, that was nice. But I had a facial inside the spa, and the service was hurried and rough and certainly not relaxing. I do not recommend Four Seasons spa. WIsh I tried GW spa having read all the reviews here.

GW is just by Four Seasons (5 minute drive?) The building itself doesn't seem to be as classy and romantic as GW, its like a normal commercial hotel complex. I am glad I chose Four Seasons.

Even though the hotel was full (Spring break), we do not find the hotel crowded at all. Especialyl at night, we sit by the sea in one of those tents lined up all by the sea and we felt very private and felt that the whole sea belonged to us.

Yes, it is a bit conservative, and many guests are 40+, but if you want a hotel for your honeymoon and a place to remember for your life or one that you would be glad to return to on your 10th anniversary - choose Four Seasons.

Southern California
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Wailea Maui or Four Seasons Maui Honeymoon??

We spent our honeymoon at the Renaissance Wailea last year. It was wonderful. We upgraded to the ocean front roooms, which included a private pool just for those 16 rooms and wonderful breakfast buffet every day. It was just steps to the beach. No other hotel in Wailea can offer that. We snorkeled right outside our room every morning.

We walked to the GW and FS to check them out. GW was spectacular but reminded us more of a water theme park. FS was of course elegant and classy, much more subdued than GW. We would stay at Renaissance again or at FS. Too many kids for our taste at GW. Maybe in a few years when we have some of our own.