We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punahoa Beach Apartments Questions

Which Kihei hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Punahoa Beach Apartments Questions

We are looking at this place for a week stay next July. We would rent one of the 2 bedroom units that are on the 3rd floor. If anyone can help me with these questions, I would appreciate it!

1. What is the layout for the 2 bedrooms? Do they face the ocean, lawn or street/parking?

2. They said we could have our choice of the north side or south side of the building. Which would be preferable?

3. We would have 5 people (myself & husband, our two boys, and my father). Is the sofa OK for someone to sleep on? (Figure it would be a kid and they can sleep ANYWHERE).

4. Do you get much noise in the evening from nearby Charley Young's beach (partying, etc)?

5. Is this a quiet place overall?

THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,954 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punahoa Beach Apartments Questions

I think the berooms are on the back toward the parking lot. I would choose the side away from the afternoon sun if you are going to be there in July. Remember the only air conditioning is with the penthouse places at Punahoa. We had no noise from the beaches nor from the surfer hang out at the end of the road but we were in a studio where you sleep on the ocean side.

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Punahoa Beach Apartments Questions

Thank you! I sure wish they had floor plans on their website!

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
4,878 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Punahoa Beach Apartments Questions

1. I've only been in their studios. When you say do they face the ocean, do you mean the bedroom? All the units are oceanfront (about 40 ft. away) and would guess the bedrooms do not fact the ocean, probably the living room/dining area. Call Chris, the manager, and ask him. He is rather abrupt sometimes, but can be quite helpful.

2. North. If you look at the slide show, the first one that comes faces the SW. There is another condo unit directly south. The second slide shows the view to the NW. Cove park is directly north.

3. Does the sofa make out into a bed? If not, ours was a rattan and would not be very comfortable.

4. We got no noise from Charley Young. It is about 2 city blocks away.

5. The surf is quite noisy. We left our 2nd floor sliding glass doors open all night and it lulled us to sleep. There is some foot traffic between the complex and the ocean but we never were bothered by a lot of noise.

You didn't ask, but it will be VERY hot there in July. The ceiling fan and an extra ocelating fan Chris brought up on my request did little to help during afternoon heat. At night it was very comfortable with a sheet on.

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Punahoa Beach Apartments Questions

Thank you, Bips! Great info! I will call and talk to Chris.

Thanks for the warning about no a/c. We've been to Hawaii probably 5 times now and always in the summer. Our timeshare on Kauai doesn't have a/c either. I actually prefer it since we go there to be OUTSIDE and be near the ocean. The one time we went to Maui we stayed at Grand Champions in Kihei/Wailea and we so missed being able to hear the ocean at night. It was nice, but no waves to lull you to sleep as you mentioned, that's why the Punahoa looks so attractive to us. At least Maui has that WIND off the ocean to cool things down.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
4,878 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Punahoa Beach Apartments Questions

I completely agree. That's how we pick our condos wherever we vacation. I jokingly say I have to be able to throw a rock left-handed and hit the water from my lanai...and I throw like a girl;)

I also agree about the trade winds, but they really don't cool things off during the day. We typically eat breakfast then pack lunch and take off for a day of exploring then come back in time for the sunset on our lanai. A couple of times we came back early for a shower and to do something later that afternoon. Whew!!! The bathroom was like a steam room. I put the fan in front of the door to at least blow hot air on me so I could fix my hair, makeup, etc. No way. So from then on I left my hair wet and slicked back with a lot of gel and just wore blush and lipstick....very chic. Not really, but it made getting ready in the afternoon doable. Just an FYI.

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Punahoa Beach Apartments Questions

Bips, sounds like you vacation EXACTLY like us! I went ahead and booked it yesterday, the north side, top floor 2 BR. From the slideshow it looks like a rattan sofa, but I'm sure my youngest son can sleep on that and we'll let Grandpa and the older boy have beds. We just need to be able to eat our eggs or pancakes in the morning and look out at the ocean (and judge the surfers!) and relax on the lanai at night.

I will remember to shower at the beach and not to bother at the condo in the afternoon! ;)

Thanks so much for your assistance. It is MUCH appreciated.

Get answers to your questions about Kihei
Recent Conversations