We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Kihei or South Kihei?

Te Awamutu, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
North Kihei or South Kihei?

I am coming to Maui in September for a week with my hubby. We have decided to stay in Kihei for several reasons...price, snorkelling, and central location to both East and West of island. What is important to us...an ocean view, preferably beachfront (I don't want a road between me and the beach), close to good snorkelling, and budget is $250-300 per night. We will hire a car so getting around is no issue. I don't want to be around tons of people, hence why we want to avoid the resort areas...this is a relaxing getaway for us.

So my question is... which is better for this North or South Kihei and why? And what would be some accommodation that would fit this? I have been poring over trip advisor, vrbo, expedia etc and I am getting really confused, so any help would be good. Neither of us have been to Maui before. Thanks

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,055 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Kihei or South Kihei?

Given your wants and budget, I would say Hale Pau Hana in S. Kihei would be the PERFECT place!

http://www.hphresort.com/

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: North Kihei or South Kihei?

Look at Kihei Surfside also. Stayed there last month and loved it.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,177 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Kihei or South Kihei?

dengay has given you a wonderful place! It's right in between Kam Beach 1 and 2. And you have all kinds of amenities right across the street.

Further south, right on the border with Wailea is the Kihei Surfside. It has a rocky shore for snorkeling, and just across the parking lot is beautiful Keawakapu Beach. 5 Palms Restaurant and Sarento's on the Beach are close by as well. From the Surfside, you can easily access the four lane Piilani Highway by heading up Kilohana Drive. South Kihei Drive is a lot more fun to drive, but it is pokey, and time consuming. At least you have an option from there. Also, if you are taking any boat tours from the Kihei Boat Ramp, you only need to walk across the green space to get to the ramp.

https://www.kiheisurfsideresort.com/

This is just one website for the Surfside. There are a of units listed on VRBO as well.

Toronto
Level Contributor
297 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: North Kihei or South Kihei?

Royal Mauian

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,621 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Kihei or South Kihei?

welcome to the Maui forum.

Let's start with the South Kihei area: Mana Kai Resort, and next door is Kihei Surfside(I don't think any of these units have a/c.) September is one of the hottest months. I perfer units have have a/c, others don't mind not having a/c. KS. nice beach and some good snorkeling. Just a little up the road you will have these three:

Royal Mauian, Kamaole Nalu and Hale Pau Hana. great swimming beaches on each side of the units and some snorkeling. You will have the highest concentration of the people staying in Kiehi due to good beaches, and restaurants, plu many complexes that are across the street form the ocean.

The next area you will see on VRBO is Central Kihei: Maui sunset, Koa Logoon, Menehune Shores are a few in this area. They front the ocean, but the water is shallow and has coral ruble which doesn't make for good swimming. Low concentration of people and nearest restaurants 1 mile. (I stay in this area)

Next area is North Kihei (on South Kihei Rd) There are several complexes that are on the wonderful 5 mile Sugar Beach, nice for morning walks. You can swim here but not much in the way of snorkeling.

Kihei Kai, Nani Kai Hale, Kihei Sands, Sugar Beach Resort and Kealia Resort. Just a few sandwiches shops in the area not sit down restaurants. Less concentration of folks in this area.

If you mean you want to walk out to snorkel, then stay in the South part of Kihei, but if you don't mind driving 10-15 minutes for great snorkeling then Central or North Kihei would work.

Edited: 7:43 pm, March 14, 2014
Te Awamutu, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Kihei or South Kihei?

Fabulous, this has been really helpful so far. So definitely South Kihei sounds like it might be more suitable then as we want to be able to just walk out and snorkel. Hale Pau Hana was one I have had on my shortlist, but I will now go have a look at the others that have been mentioned as well.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,177 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North Kihei or South Kihei?

Always check the listings for parking fees, cleaning fees, processing fees, and any other fees they can make up! Most condos in the Kihei area do not charge for parking. And cleaning fees are often waived for a stay of 5 nights or longer. Taxes you can not avoid anywhere!

Rosie's Rentals takes care of quite a few of the Kihei Surfside condos, but he charges $25.00 fee for booking. Most people don't charge for just booking.

And always, always, read the cancellation policy.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,621 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North Kihei or South Kihei?

Snorkeling is OK on the edges/lava outcroppings of the Kamaole Beaches and next to the Kihei Surface Side

at Keawakapu Beach. It's nice to walk out and snorkel. 10-20-15 minutes south in Wailea and Makena you will find some wonderful snorkeling beaches, so do explore and try others also.

Maui
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: North Kihei or South Kihei?

If you are wanting something small and ocean front that is in central Kihei check out Hale Kai O' Kihei. It does not sit on a swimmable beach, but tends to attract an adult crowd. We use to stay here when we visited.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North Kihei or South Kihei?

I'm a big fan of North Kihei and if I had your budget I would stay at Maalaea Surf. If I remember correctly, they have a general rental site and are also listed privately on VRBO. Snorkelling is not onsite but there is a reef off Sugar Beach resort. Morning excursions to snorkel elsewhere are a snap.

The swimming is lovely with sandy bottom. Generally calm in the morning and waves to play in during the early afternoon. This beach is perfect for long walks. I love the area for being close enough to good shopping and restaurants but not in the thick of it. It's peaceful and uncrowded.

ABC store, farmers market, shave ice & bakery within a 3 min walk. Canoe club nearby offers public paddles twice a week.

Location is prime for access to any direction and you are midway between Maalaea Harbour and the Kihei boat ramp for getting out on the water for sails, snorkeling or sunset cruises.

Edited: 12:22 am, March 15, 2014