We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Kihei family condos

Which Kihei hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
205 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Kihei family condos

We decided to take the family on a last "hurrah of summer" trip to Maui to use up some airline and hotel points. We are staying 5 nights at the Sheraton resort and then want to stay an extra 4 days. Then we are island hopping over to Hilo for 4 nights (it was the only place from which I could find 5 award tickets home). Since I have to pay for 8 extra nights, we are on an extreme budget. I want to book a 1 bedroom condo in south Maui for under 150 a night. Here are the choices I have for our chosen dates:

Castle kamaole Sands

Aston Maui Banyan

Kihei Akahi

Hale Kamaole

Sugar Beach Condos

Which of the above properties has the best value for the price? Our priorites would be good location, followed by clean and spacious interior, followed by good grounds. I realize that for our price our condo will likely be older and less than luxurious. Our family has kids 6,3,2 and the 2 year old sleeps in a crib.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Kihei family condos

They are all OK, depending on the unit. My #1 choice of those listed, however, would be Hale Kamaole. Spacious grounds, two pools, and across from one of Maui's best beaches.

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
205 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Kihei family condos

I was eyeing up that location already, as the park across the street has a playground. Is this property significantly better than the Kamaole Sands next door? Also, do you have a preferred unit?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,028 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Kihei family condos

Four nights... most owners will want to charge a cleaning fee for such a short stay. Have you been on vrbo? Or are you looking at rental companies?

I think the Aston Maui Banyan is charging a resort fee. At least a lot of the Aston properties are now, not sure about the Banyan, so check that too when adding up the total cost.

Hope you can make it work for a wonderful end to the summer!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,477 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Kihei family condos

I doubt you can put five people in a 1 BR condo. (Crib or no crib. It's fire laws.) Maybe some places will 'bend the rules'? North Kihei and Maalaea will be cheaper than most of South Kihei. Maui Vista is one of the less expensive places near the Kamaole parks.

Might you fly to KOA and spend some time on the 'sunny side' of Big Island (usually cheaper than Maui) before maybe two nights ITO-side? Kohala Coast was part of the RE bubble -- lots of condos.

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
205 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Kihei family condos

Very often a hotel that is only bookable online for 4 will say fine on the phone for 5 if one is in a crib. We travel often, and have only had a problem once. There is no such fire law that limits occupancy to 4; the only fire law is minimum square feet per person. Any 1 bedroom suite will be fine for 5 (I was an interior designer designing commercial building for 6 years)/. We are covered for the BI part of the trip; we have been there 3 times in the past 2 years and do not want to spend any more time on the Kona side.

Anyhow, can anyone comment on the above properties that fit our budget?

Virginia
Level Contributor
294 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Kihei family condos

My family has stayed at Kamaole Sands several times, including stays with my nieces when they were very young like your kids. There seem to be a lot of families there with small kids. I also stayed at the Banyan once too and it was nice. Between the two, I think the Kamaole Sands 1-bedrooms seemed a bit more spacious, the lanais were generally larger (though they vary), and I like the grounds of the property better. I also like the location (across from Kamaole Beach 3) better, since Kam 3 has that big parking lot (makes it easy to keep all the beach gear in the trunk and just drive across every day and park and unload). Banyan and Akahi are both across from Kam 2, which doesn't have a parking lot. Hale Kamaole is also near Kam 3, as I recall it's location is kinda on top of a hill.

I hear Sugar Beach is really windy, but don't have any first hand experience.

Hope that helps!

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with Kihei family condos

Hale Kamaole vs Kamaole Sands:

HK had a better unit to pool ratio: 188 units and 2 pools. More lawn area also. The upper units sit on a bit of hill. Longer walk to beach, but no street noise and some nice views.

KS has 440 units and 1 regular pool. There is a kids pool, however, which might be good for your family. It is a large property and some buildings are quite a walk to pool and/or beach.

I have visited at both but have stayed at neither, so no unit #'s to recommend.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,477 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with Kihei family condos

Sugar Beach has the advantage of being ON the sand -- something I'd prefer with little kids in and out from the sun, for naps, etc. It's not 'walk to' *anything*, but it's not a far drive into Kihei. North Kihei and Maalaea will have the less expensive condos. These are both on sand, although not great swimming beaches: Luana Kai, Maui Sunset. (You want something with A/C -- and beware 'lofts' that store heat.

Take a look at Maui Hill in your South Kihei search. I suspect you will be driving to the beaches from any of the 'across from the water' condos in your price range -- so much kiddie paraphernalia. Maui Hill is between Kam III and Keawakapu. Lots of free parking at both of these. Kam III has a large grassy play area as well as tables, benches, rest rooms, a lifeguard.

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with Kihei family condos

We stayed at Hale Kamaole and really liked the location and grounds. We stayed there with friends who live there so can't recommend a certain unit. Nice pools, nice BBQ area and many had nice views.

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
205 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with Kihei family condos

Thanks for all the help. I ended going with the Kamaole Sands over Hale Kamaole because of the drastic difference in fees for the booking. Taxes and fees were $50 on a 3 night stay of $125 nightly at KS, while taxes and fees are $213 (!) for 3 nights at $145 nightly at HK. I'll let you all know how it goes. Even if it ends up being a lousy place, hey, we got to go to Maui so things can't be too bad!