We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How important is A/C?

Orangevale...
Level Contributor
230 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
How important is A/C?

We are staying in S Maui June 6-13 this year. I notice most places are not air conditioned. Or have a wall a/c in one room & say things like "Not important unless you are an a/c person". Not sure what that means, haha?

So, are we going to be uncomfortable sleeping at night? We live in the Sacramento, Ca area & it's hot here. We like the heat, but need a/c at night to sleep.

hanks for any info!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,630 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How important is A/C?

"We like the heat, but need a/c at night to sleep."

Sounds like you are an A/C person to me.

We have never used it in all the trips we have made but we live in Michigan and have 6 months of natural A/C so we tend to go for the warmth. Usually the wind is blowng so to us an open window and ceiling fan are all that are needed. Love hearing the surf, would hate hearing an A/C unit.

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How important is A/C?

I always need A/C in Hawaii. Being from the Bay area humidity gets to me easily. I wouldn't rent a condo without it.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How important is A/C?

There are a lot of variables to take into consideration ... your tolerance for heat and noise of the surf (the only time I used A/C on our recent trip was a couple of nights when the noise of the surf was keeping me awake), air flow through the unit, if effective fans are in the unit, how much sun it gets in the afternoon and what type of window coverings the unit has.

The consensus amongst those who want an a/c'd unit is: It's better to have it and not need it, than to not have it and need it.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,239 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How important is A/C?

AC is VERY subjective topic on travel forums. Hawaii is not hot like where you live and generally, there is always a lovely tropical breeze. AC is very expensive in Hawaii, and that is why most rentals don't have them. I am like Bill - just a fan and window are great for me, but for some folks, if they really love a cold room, AC is not optional. Only you will know that for yourself. :)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How important is A/C?

Susan is right on, better to have it and not need it than the other way around!! The cost of electricity is the highest in the nation, that is the main reason why it's limited. The trade winds blow their strongest during the summer months and keep things fairly nice. It doesn't get as hot in Hawaii as it does in Sacramento and usually cools down in the evening hours. It always boils down to personal preference.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How important is A/C?

"How important is A/C? "

Not important at all--------------------------------to ME!! Like Brighton Bill and coalminer, I live in a more temperate area and tend to seek the heat.

As coalminer stated, this is a VERY subjective topic. I suspect, while you won't find it HOT on Maui, you will find the humidity bothersome. How bothersome, again, is up to you.

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How important is A/C?

Sounds like, by your own definition, you're "A/C people" While the island temps don't move the mercury as far north as does the temps you folks up in Sac face, the added humidity can make it quite uncomfortable at times.

The units without air that I stay in on the opposite side of the island are engineered, constructed and situated to make absolute best use of the always blowing northern trade winds, but if I'm elsewhere on island ... you can bet I'll be blasting that A/C fairly regularly!

Alo)(a, NKO

Oregon
Level Contributor
358 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How important is A/C?

To me, it's all about the building design and how open it is to the trades. We've had condos without AC that drew the breezes through and were never really hot. Last trip we had a condo just a mile away (Honokawai) that was always hot despite AC. Problem was the loft that had no ventilation and served as a heat trap.

In general, I'd rather do without because we'd rather hear the ocean than the AC.

Jim

Orangevale...
Level Contributor
230 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How important is A/C?

Wow, can of worms, eh?! :)

I guess I could be more detailed here. We need a/c at night here because it is stuffy hot & we can't leave our windows open for safety reasons.

We have needed a/c in topical places we have visited (Playa del Carmen, Grand Cayman, etc) either because it was ridiculously humid & damp, with barely a breeze or the warmth was nice, the humidity not bad, trade winds nice, but we were on ground floor with 1 door, no windows.

So I guess a better question would be how humid is it? What is June like? Sticky gross that makes it feel like it's 100 degrees? If we have ceiling fans & can keep windows open and get some good cross breezes, I think we'd be fine. But if we open a window & the humidity chokes us (like PDC), then yah, it's a/c time.

Edited: 2:37 pm, May 02, 2013
Oregon
Level Contributor
358 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How important is A/C?

I'd say the nightime humidity is nothing like Playa de Carmen, and the trade winds usually blow 10-15 mph.

Jim