We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui accommodation advice needed off Big Island experts

London, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Maui accommodation advice needed off Big Island experts

Hello

I am planning a vacation to Maui in Jan 2014 and don't know where to stay. Last year I went to the Big Island and stayed at a private condo at Waikoloa Villas in Waikoloa Resort ( where the Hilton is ) and it was perfect for our requirements: walking to big hotels for events, walking distance to the main shops at the Queens marketplace and having a choice of bars for dinner with a great supermarket for when we wanted to cook ourselves. Yes it was expensive but walking is a priority for us as we are against drinking and driving and we do find the Hawaiian and mainland beers quite a treat! What would be the Maui equivalent area/ resort? I'm glad we didnt stay in Kona as it was too too busy so I don't want to go to a busy busy area of Maui if I can. I don't need a sea view or luxury - a condo is fine. We enjoyed driving along the Kohala coast to find places. Again,I don't have to stay near a beach in Maui, so long as I can get to a few nearby in a car. Incidentally we also stayed half the week in a beautiful house in suburban Hilo, which was the opposite of the big resort at Waikoloa and generally what I prefer but I have less time this vacation as we are off to Kauai on the same vacation, so just want a good base with a few bars or places to eat. Not interested in nightlife or clubs. A few good supermarkets are a must. My fav thing last year was picking up a box of ahi poke and Maui Brewing Co beer and watching American sports on tv in the evening! I am guessing the resorts aren't as spaced out as they are in Kohala?

Mahalo in advance x

London, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui accommodation advice needed off Big Island experts

Hmmm......Kihei sounds good. I suppose I should say what I don't want is anywhere like downtown Kona or Honolulu. I am willing to compromise on range of eateries or bars if it means staying away from busy packed highrise places. I guess what I liked about Hilo is that i could walk into town within 20 minutes and pick up fruit from the farmers market, but also pop into a regulars bar and walk back 'home'.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui accommodation advice needed off Big Island experts

Kihei is a beach town. Full of condos' restaurants and shops. Great beaches too. You could do all your walking, farmers market and bar then walk home!! I just think it maybe a bit busier than what you want. What I think you are looking for would be found in north/west Maui, specifically Napili or Kapalua. Thing is, it could be a bit more wet and chilly (relative term) than other areas of Maui.

LA
Level Contributor
10,063 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui accommodation advice needed off Big Island experts

Your choices are really Ka'anapali Beach area on the west side of Maui or the Wailea area on the south side of Maui. Both have walkable shopping and restaurant areas. The southern Wailea area is generally drier and less windy in January than Ka'anapali. I think of it as more analagous to Waikoloa.

The Kihei area is not master-planned like Waikoloa/ south Koahala and is more of a jumbled area of older condos and lower-end eating establishments. A bit more like Kona area.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui accommodation advice needed off Big Island experts

The Honokowai and Kahana areas north of Ka'anapali on the west side have lots of low rise complexes a lot are even oceanfront but not sure how many places you can walk to to eat and drink but there are some. Maui Brewing Co. brewpub is in the Kahana area.

We are staying in Honokowai in june and seems like if we walk to Duke's at Honua Kai it will be about 11/2 miles.

London, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui accommodation advice needed off Big Island experts

Thanks msfuzz, PareoB (you helped me with my Big Island vacation thank you!) and UNCMOM2011. I'm trying to refine what I want and maybe a fair bit of solitude is necessary. Doesn't sound like Kihei allows that? I will check out all your suggestions but keep them coming mahalo . What was nice about Waikoloa was that it was quiet but not isolated or cut off.

London, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui accommodation advice needed off Big Island experts

Actually Wailea might not be a bad shout since we will be running the marathon which I noticed sets off from there.

Texas
Level Contributor
816 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui accommodation advice needed off Big Island experts

I just want to comment that Maui in its entirety is busy in January, very busy.

LA
Level Contributor
10,063 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui accommodation advice needed off Big Island experts

Kihei is not where I would go to find solitude.

If you can afford it, the Wailea area places (other than the Grand Wailea and it's waterpark) would be a better choice.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,053 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui accommodation advice needed off Big Island experts

We've stayed two to four weeks on all four major islands -- always in January/February. We prefer South Kihei and Wailea at this time of year, although you could have decent weather in West Maui as long as you stay from Kahana on south. Napili and Kapalua are usually wet and windy in winter. Condo living is our preference in casual Hawaii -- nothing beats sipping something cold right out of your fridge while sitting on a lanai watching the whales.

This site has most lodgings, with aerial views and reviews. You can often do better than the 'rack rates' they list, although January is High Season and you're starting late to book for that. See: www.hawaiirevealed.com

We could help more if we knew who is coming (number of people and ages) and what the lodging budget will bear.

10. Re: Maui accommodation advice needed off Big Island experts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 28, 2014