We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What grocery store to shop in Kihei?

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What grocery store to shop in Kihei?

Heading to Maui in a couple of weeks. Have been 2 x before but stayed west. 1st time in Kihei. Which grocery store do you recommend? We like a lot of fresh produce (on weight watchers!!). We will go also to Costco and the farmers mkt . Advice appreciated.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,630 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: What grocery store to shop in Kihei?

kaiwahine -- When are market days at Queen Kaahumanu (sp?) Shopping Center? We've never been there at the right time to take something "home", but produce looked very appealing and I saw locals buying. Do you miss Liberty House? Macy's is so...Macy's!

(And now they're taking over our Marshall Field's in Chicago! Sob.)

Finally, what is the great French bakery in Wailuku, please?

Cananda
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: What grocery store to shop in Kihei?

+-

NovoScotiaGal nice to hear from someone else from Atlantic Canada. We will be taking our (hard to believeit) 8th trip to Maui in July. Have found the best deals on produce at Costco. They had a combo pack of various vegies at a very resonable price that we wished we could find here at home (Moncton). What route do you take to get there. We usually fly Vancouver -Maui but this time are going through LAX-Maui

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: What grocery store to shop in Kihei?

Why is the produce so bad? The big markets buy in quantities much larger than they ever get by buying locally. It comes from Mexico, California, Argentina, New Zeraland, just the same as the stuff you get on the mainland. But wherever it comes from , it goes to the mainland first, then is shipped to Honolulu, from where it is distributed to the neighbor islands. Some stuff is bought locally, like some fruits, greens and tomotoes, but most of it is from the mainland. Local growers sell first to restaurants and hotels and then in local markets. For the best, fresh produce a don't look at the big markets.

Queen Ka`ahumanu farmers' market are Tu-W-Fr.

And I actually like Macy's better than Liberty House. They have bigger buying power and have more brands/labels that I like. But I also lived in Paris for a few years when I was younger, so I use Printemps and Galleries Lafayette as my point of reference when talking shopping. lol

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What grocery store to shop in Kihei?

Eastco - Our route is Halifax Calgary Vancouver Honolulu Maui on the way there and Honolulu Vancouver Montreal Halifax on the way back. This is 3rd year in a row (yes, we are hooked) and we have yet to go through LAX. Where do you usually stay?

15. Re: What grocery store to shop in Kihei?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, August 12, 2009