We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West vs South Maui

Vernon, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
West vs South Maui

My family is planning a trip at spring break (end of March) for 2 weeks to Maui. We have 2 boys ages 11 and 7. We are on a budget (150 or less for a 1 bedroom) and I am having a hard time deciding between Kihei and Kahana/Honokowai. I have been on numerous sites such as VRBO and Flipkey. There seem like reasonable deals but can't determine which location would be better for our family. Is it rainier in March in West Maui? I have heard the beaches are better in the South. My kids like waves by the way. Any suggestions?

Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: West vs South Maui

Maria....we've been to Maui at the end of March, into the first weeks of April the past four years. It would be incorrect to say west Maui is better than south Maui......there's a well-known phrase "It's all good!".

For me that means all of the Hawaiian islands, as well as the different areas on them. It is simply a matter of personal preference as to what is best for each individual.

Our family has been happiest staying in south Maui....the north Kihei area because the price suits us. And the area is quieter. I'm considering strongly renting much further south because the price is the same, but the location offers more convenience (pro), but it's busier and more populated (con).

We've never stayed in west Maui because we prefer the convenience of driving the entire island from south Maui. And I like waves for boogie boarding and always find them on south beaches. But I'm pretty sure you can find plenty on west beaches!

Good luck with your search....once you figure out where you will stay, the true vacation planning begins! Deb

12. Re: West vs South Maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, December 15, 2013
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor