We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kihei to Haleakala Driving Times

Which Kihei hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Kihei to Haleakala Driving Times

Staying in Kihei. Want to see sunrise at the top of Haleakala. Google maps says its 36.5 miles, about 1 hr 14 mins according to their speeds. Route takes you from Kihei to Kahului first, then east towards Haleakala. Is this route and driving times correct?

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,047 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kihei to Haleakala Driving Times

Their driving times are really off, route is correct.

More like 2 to 2 1/2 hours, depending where in Kihei you are staying..

http://www.mauigateway.com/~rw/driving.html

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kihei to Haleakala Driving Times

We lived in north Kihei. It always took us at least 2 hours to get to the summit of Haleakala. Since you are going for sunrise, give yourself another half hour to an hour in order to get up there, parked and settled before the sun comes up.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kihei to Haleakala Driving Times

Ah, thanks everyone. I will plan on at least 2.5 hours.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kihei to Haleakala Driving Times

There's a cutoff by the old sugar factory on the road from Kihei that allows you to bypass Kahului traffic. From Worldmark in Kihei, we usually reach the summit in about 1:45.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,047 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kihei to Haleakala Driving Times

LVBear, 1:45 is the driving time for some one who knows the roads and "trucks" on up there.

We drive it 5 or 6 times in our 2 wk stay to star gaze at night. We take our time and from north Kihei it takes us about 2 hours or 1:45. but for a newbie on a dark twisty road do allow 2.5 driving time and plan to get there 45 to 30 minutes before sunsrise for parking and sky changing colors.before.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kihei to Haleakala Driving Times

That is Hanson Rd, by the Puunene Sugar Mill, not an old one, but the only sugar mill left in the islands. Still working after all these years!!

Hanson Rd. in the dark can be very dangerous. There is no lighting and it's has a few twists in it. Once in the dark was one time too many for me!!

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kihei to Haleakala Driving Times

We've never driven any of those roads in the dark. I like to leave for Haleakala and Upcountry after breakfast. We're coming to Maui late next month (7 of us in all), and our Haleakala trip (3 of our group are Maui newbies) will start about 8:30. After the summit and stop at Protea farm, lunch at Kula Lodge. Then Tedeschi, drive to where the pavement ends to get a glimpse of Big Island, then Surfing Goat Dairy and back "home."

Encinitas, CA
Level Contributor
168 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kihei to Haleakala Driving Times

My husband wants to drive up to Haleakala to go hiking. Doesn't want to deal with sunrise, just wants to take a nice drive up to hike. I haven't started researching this yet but while i'm on this forum, can anyone suggest good hikes at the top?

Thanks in advance!

Christiane

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,171 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kihei to Haleakala Driving Times

For driving times:

Order the free Maui travel planner. It has a nice map. Also a driving distance & driving time chart.

http://www.gohawaii.com/visitor-guide

For a great free map:

http://www.airmaui.com/mauimap.php

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,047 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kihei to Haleakala Driving Times

Christiane,

http://www.nps.gov/hale/index.htm# click on View Park Map

Many good hikes, remember high altitude, need lots of water.

If he doesn't want to do a long one, you can always just go part way down Sliding Sands trail, trail head at park information building at the summit.. Remember it will take about twice the time to walk back up. We went 20 minutes down, took us 35 back up. Just that short distance was a whole different world..wow.