We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather and attire

alameda
8 posts
Save Topic
Weather and attire

Hi,

Booked a trip for April 14 - April 19th. I'm keeping an eye on the weather via websites, but what would you recommend as far as clothes? First time to Kihei or Hawaii for that matter.

Don't want to overpack.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Miller Place, New...
Level Contributor
232 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather and attire

Info I have gathered from website very casual,dinner is shorts & shirts for men (with flip-flops). Women sundress capris etc. Enjoy you're trip we're off today.

Chicago...
Level Contributor
831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather and attire

Almost everyplace during the day you are fine with shorts and t-shirts.

At night, you are fine almost everywhere with nice shorts and a nice shirt (something with a collar).

I always take a pair of long pants, since if I am having dinner after about 8:00 or so, it is more comfortable. I also tend to pack at least one or two long sleeve shirts, since for dinner at night they look a bit nicer and are also a bit warmer.

You definitely should bring a sweatershirt or windbreaker. For early morning walks (before 7:00) it is comfortable and you may also use it at night. It is also nice if it rains.

If you go to Haleakala, you probably will be fine with sweatpants, a sweatshirt, and blankets (provided by your hotel). I have never brought a heavy coat for Haleakala. Of course, being from Chicago the cold does not bother me much anyway.

San Clemente, CA
Level Contributor
2,598 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather and attire

Another option for Haleakala (very lightweight) is a zip up fleece jacket. We got them for our trip and LOVE them! My boyfriend is so into his, he wore it to work today over his button down for casual!

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather and attire

We just returned from a 7 day trip and had sunshine almost the whole time,at Makena. Partly cloudy with chances of rain seems to be the rubber stamped weather report, even though they had had days of rain just prior to our arrival.

We never did wear our long pants, but we also didn't go up to the crater. I did wear a few light weight capri pants for going to brunch and luau.

One tip though: We found the weather to be quite different from one part of the island to the next. Raining on one part, but sunny on another ... or calm and warm on one beach and windy and cooler on another. Kehei is often the sunny side of the island. And of course the islanders see the rain as "blessings" and showers never seem to last longer than a few minutes (under normal conditions)and all is dry again within minutes.

Have a fabulous trip, Aloha!