We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kaelia Resort, Sugar Beach resort or somewhere else

Which Kihei hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Kaelia Resort, Sugar Beach resort or somewhere else

Hello This is our first trip to Maui and I am having trouble deciding on where to stay. We have two girls 11 and 8 and they LOVE the beach. Does anyone have any suggestions? We would like to be on the beach, not across the street and a ground floor unit would be great.

Any help would be appreciated

-thanks

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
625 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kaelia Resort, Sugar Beach resort or somewhere else

Price range and when will you be coming would be very helpful. We love the Napili area, great beach, no properties taller than a tree. But lots of good places in the Kihei area also.

Edited: 7:11 pm, June 04, 2012
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,128 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kaelia Resort, Sugar Beach resort or somewhere else

Kihei Surfside is just south of the Kihei Boat Ramp, on the ocean. The beach is a walk across the parking lot. ALL the condos at the Surfside have a view. We have stayed there twice. Free parking, no maid service, washer and dryer on the premises, no resort fees. You can check some of the units at www.rosiesrentals.com (he lives in Surrey, B. C.), or www.kiheisurfside.com and another one, www.maui-vacation-rentals.com

Give us an idea of your budget as Photomom123 said and we can help you better.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kaelia Resort, Sugar Beach resort or somewhere else

Being ON a beach isn't AS big a deal when there are so many great beaches to sample, from the Kamaoles and Keawakapu in South Kihei, on through Wailea and Makena.

Sugar Beach is rather 'isolated' from the rest of Kihei. You'd drive to shops and restaurants. I'm not sure what noise levels are since the highway has been expanded.

I'd look near the Kamaole Beach Parks or in Wailea. Would Napili suit?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,487 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kaelia Resort, Sugar Beach resort or somewhere else

ChiSue I agree there are tons of great beaches, but there is def something to be said for having a beach-front unit ... esp with kids.

The beaches we frequent in Florida have lots of "across the street" options, and while they have easy beach access, and some even have a little bit of a view, there is nothing like waking up in the a.m. with a cup of coffee on the lanai looking at the beach with nothing between it and you.

To the OP, "beachfront" in Maui is not the most common thing ever... lots of "oceanfront" (i.e., fronting the water but no beach -- still great views) ... most of the Napili complexes have beach front (some a good ways back from the beach) but the beach front units will be pricey.

A budget would definitely help!

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,926 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kaelia Resort, Sugar Beach resort or somewhere else

Having a condo where I can easily walk to a beach is very important to some folks...including me. I love to swim/play in the ocean, but do not want to carry beach gear or sit in the sand or worry about car keys and other possessions. If I am going to just look at the beach or ocean, or take a stroll, driving there is fine. If I plan to swim, I want to be a short walk away from a lounge chair by my pool or lanai. You will have to decide how important this is to you and your family.

For a modest budget Kealia and Sugar Beach are nice choices. I stayed at Nani Kai Hale in the same area and enjoyed my stay very much. It was maybe 5 steps across the lawn to the sand! It is not far to drive down to the shops and restaurants at Azeka and/or Long Centers. There is an ABC store and Farmers Market even closer.

Some nice beachfront places in So. Kihei are Hale Pau Hana, Royal Mauian, Kamaole Nalu, and Hale Hui Kai. I've stayed in all of them with kids about the ages of yours. Fabulous for families...but, alas, more expensive than No. Kihei.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,058 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kaelia Resort, Sugar Beach resort or somewhere else

I wouldn't consider this area isolated, just a bit set apart from all the rest. It also is centrally located to south and west Maui where most people end up driving at some point. Restaurants and shopping right there in Maalaea or just a short car ride up the street into Kihei. Beaches are very nice and not as crowded as those towards the center of Kihei. I lived very close to this area and loved it.

I couldn't even hear them constructing the newer part of the road, so don't think you will have a problem with hearing traffic!!

Edited: 3:24 pm, June 05, 2012
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Kaelia Resort, Sugar Beach resort or somewhere else

Yes, beachfront is nice -- if you can afford it. *I* would have bought at Makena Surf if that was in our budget!

I'm happy with a larger, more modern condo in a quiet location with ocean view. It's a trade-off. I would consider beachfront more seriously with toddlers who are in/out/in/out. (Sounds like our Westie! )

Calgary, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kaelia Resort, Sugar Beach resort or somewhere else

Thanks all,

As for price, $200 - 225.00 would be tops. I would rather spend money on tours, etc.

I have heard that West maui tends to get more rain than the south which is why I was leaning towards sugar beach/kihei area

Thanks

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,128 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kaelia Resort, Sugar Beach resort or somewhere else

Hi again Deb. West Maui tends to get more rain, but that depends on the time of year you are traveling. Also, any rain in Maui is way better than a chinook in Calgary ;o) Actually, when it does rain, it seldom lasts very long. And if you don't have rain, you don't get those glorious rainbows!

What month are you traveling?

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kaelia Resort, Sugar Beach resort or somewhere else

The northernmost parts of most of the islands get more rain in winter months, especially Kauai and Oahu -- to some extent on Maui. I'd skip Napili and Kapalua in mid-winter. The ocean will be calmer in South Maui in winter; reverse in summer. South Maui is more convenient to tour Haleakala, Road to Hana, Iao Valley...and to the airport. (Only a consieration if you're crossing back and forth multiple times.)

So...when are you coming and what size condo do you want?

Get answers to your questions about Kihei
Recent Conversations