We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather

Normal, Illinois
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Weather

We leave tomorrow for a trip we have planned for over a year. The weather reports show showers everyday. Are these usually light rain then sun or are we going to have to plan other things to do besides the beach, our favorite thing to do?

Phoenix
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather

I am not an expert, but from reading the other posts on this board and from my experience in Honolulu about 7 years ago, the showers do not affect your beach plans. When I went with my family over Christmas, there were showers every day, but only for a few minutes and the temps did not drop. We would just stay out on the beach and the showers passed. So, I don't think you should worry.

So. California
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather

Yes, but what I have not heard is how bad the water visibility is now that it has rained, visibility in feet would be prefered. Is snorkling even a possibility this week? I will be there from March 29 - April 5. Snorkling is one of the MAJOR reasons that I am going to Maui (Ka'anapali beach) so if snorkling is our of the question then a good portion of my trip is ruined.

SoCalDad

Phoenix
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather

I don't know about that. I'm going to be there the same time you are and we will be in the same boat.

Wailuku, Maui
Level Contributor
304 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather

The weather forecast this week still calls for extended showers. Right now we are still under a flash flood watch for the whole island. The news is saying the weather hasn't been this bad since 1951, it's on it's 37th day now. They did say it "should be clearing" this weekend, but how accurate that would be....we'll have to do the sun dance for ya.

It did rain in Kihei yesterday, around 10 after it hung here all morning,we had some major Kona winds blowing in. It lasted pretty much all day with the rains subsiding about half hr later, and drizzled til 5pm where the sun came out to play for a bit before it got dark. As I look out my window right now the mountains are clear, and I am watching a beautiful sunset coming into view, the clouds appear a little low. Unfortunately, I cannot see the "other side" of the island just yet, until I go to work. The roads are not wet so it didn't rain overnight.

I'd say play the ocean waters by ear, coming home yesterday on N. Kihei road it was definately brown at waters edges, and very rough indeed. Not sure about Kaanapli area but I would imagine it to be about the same.

Sorry don't have good news right now, they said it will clear later today, but at the same time it should have "frequent showers throughout the day". The rain seems to be over Oahu and Molokai right now headed down the chain, so we'll be soon.

So. California
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather

Not sure how acurate this is but it at least gives me hope.

http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/?page_id=10

Marginal to good snorkling / diving on the West shores.

SoCalDad

Wailuku, Maui
Level Contributor
304 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather

it "hung" all day overcast, but poured on the way home this afternoon (created a 6 car accident and a normal 20 minute drive home took 1 hour....), now it's just drizzling. But they say it's not over yet.

sorry.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather

We leave Thursday as well. I keep looking at the National Weather Service weather discussion. It is actually getting worse instead of better. Sounds like this weather pattern is expected to be in place for most of next week.

What I'm wondering is if there are parts of the island that are remaining mostly sunny? Isn't Kiehe and South the "desert" part of the island? We are staying at the Hyatt but don't mind driving to find the sun. I keep telling myself the entire isand can be wet and cloudy..can it???

Any suggestions other than the Maui Acquarium for indoor activities. Not sure if we want to attemt Haleakala, Hana or the North Shore in the rain.

Rain Rain go Away!!!!!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather

in truth.. expect another 6 days of rain, on ALL ISLANDS

this is the most raainy period since 1956.

Relax...it will not be all the time but expect aa lot of activities to be canceled.

go with the flow..............