We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good dolphin trip

Seattle
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
Good dolphin trip

Any opinions on the best dolphin viewing trip. It would be early July. I understand there's no guarantees, so an overall good experience is valued. Thanks!

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Good dolphin trip

Pods of spinner dolphins are frequently encountered around Lanai. Trilogy does a great snorkel trip out there. Well worth it even if you weren't to see any dolphins that day. My inlaws just went while on their vacation and saw a huge group. The tour they took was called the Ultimate Seafari.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good dolphin trip

hi seatexan,

I've been on Maui 15 years now and am a former boat owner of the earlier 12 years. dolphins are hit and miss on the south side and I've also seen more action on Lanai throughout the years. actually way before that as I always participated in the old Lahaina Jackpot, Lanai has always produced dolphins. even many pilot whale sightings.

July is the end of Ahi season which agitates dolphins so anywhere is possible. if you can find a tour out of Kihei to get you to what we call behind mountain there is a chance. have seen spinners and regular dolphins in Kihei just not as much. someone earlier posted about manta rays which can be found also in Kihei and one more is the whale shark that makes rare appearances.

Edited: 4:38 am, February 15, 2012
T S
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,863 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good dolphin trip

We did this dolphin discovery tour on the Maui Magic three years ago and had a wonderful experience.

http://www.mauicharters.com/mauimagic.html

The captain was terrific,very knowledgeable and respectful of the wildlife and ecosystem. She seemed to be radioing to find the best snorkel conditions and the best chance of viewing dolphins and she did come through for us beautifully. Maybe we were just lucky, or maybe it's changed since then, but I would check it out. We've been on better boats, but never had a better time. Btw, you do NOT get in the water with the dolphins. Just view them in their natural splendour.

Aloha

Teri

Edited: 7:42 am, February 15, 2012
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good dolphin trip

I would recommend either Trilogy or Paragon. Both are great and both go to Lanai where you leave the boat and spend sometime on the island. I've gone on both and saw dolphins both times.

T S
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,863 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good dolphin trip

First let me say that all of you DEs and Hawaiian residents on these forums are so wonderful at educating us and I thank you very much. I brought this thread back up to rescind my recommendation of the dolphin tour in post 3.

While I believe they follow all of the rules, I have learned that even seeking out the dolphins by the tour boats endangers them. Their rest is being disturbed. This leaves them vulnerable to predators, especially the babies. The size of the pods is decreasing dramatically.

Janet , one of the DEs from Kauai posted this important article.

http://dolphinart.tripod.com/save.htm

Everyone who loves dolphins should read it. Please. When we know better, we do better. Mahlo, Janet!

6. Re: Good dolphin trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:07 pm, June 07, 2013