We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

condo advice

Pacifica, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
condo advice

My husband and I will be staying for a week in Maui Feb 2006. We are trying to decide between two condo's. Please let us know you have have an opinion/advice either way.

1st option: Kihei Kai Nani

2nd option: Kihei Garden Estates

I have read the reviews and can tell more people have stayed at Kihei Kai Nani but I am wondering is it worth the $30 an extra per night?

Thanks for the help!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,054 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: condo advice

mb95,

bq is right about the Luana Kai. It's a nice place and a terrific bargain.

Kenike

Kihei, HI
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: condo advice

Luana Kai is O.K. but be aware of which building and unit number as this is key ! Buildings A and D are direct ocean front. A is best as there are tennis courts in front of D. B and C run at a steep sideways angle to the ocean such that the farther you get away from #14 the farther you are from the ocean. #1 puts you pretty much on Kihei Road ! Ocean views in B and C are a decent partial for units #11-14, peeks down a few more and dry up completely by about #6 or #7. The courtyard is nice and private though and the tiki torches at night are very romantic.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,054 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: condo advice

TropixFan is correct about the layout of the buildings. However, we stayed in a ground-floor unit in building "B" and had a nice glimps of the ocean from our lanai. I'm certain that from the second or third floor you would have a nice view. While building "A" may be prefered by many, I'll stick with unit B107 with the fantastic garden view, the easy access to the pool area and the glimps of the ocean. Just my opinion.

The other important factor here (IMHO) is the value. While not everyone is on a tight budget, we were and the $850 we paid for our 2br, 2ba, 1000 sq ft condo for 8 days was a huge factor in our decision to stay there. Having done that, even if were aree not on a budget the next time, we will stay there again.

If you go to www.wizardpub.com you can view an aerial photo of the Luana Kai and nearly every other resort on Maui.

Kenike

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,218 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: condo advice

I can only respond about one of the condos you inquired about: Maui Vista. The daughter of friends who stay with us at Maui Kamaole was quite satisfied with her studio at Vista last February. It is one place where you could actually stay without a car as there are places to eat and a grocery within a couple of blocks and there is good swimming and body surfing a block away.

South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: condo advice

Thanks for the information everyone is stating in this forum. We were recently in Maui and stayed at the Maui Prince. It was marvelous, but we would like to return one day and know prices will be a concern. I really appreciate your candid advice.

Kihei, HI
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: condo advice

This is in response to mb95's repost about the Maui Vista, Kahale Makai, Koa Resort and Kihei Ali'i Kai.

The Kahale Makai and Koa Resort are in north Kihei where the beaches are more for lookin' at than swimming. This is not a problem if you aren't an avid beach goer or are without kids. Staying at north and central Kihei complexes is the most economical way to get an oceanfront condo. Comparable locations on a Kama'ole or Keawakapu in south Kihei would easily be 2-3+ times the rate ! It's only about a 10-15 minute drive to the Kama'ole beach parks from north Kihei anyway.

Kahale Makai is an oceanfront complex as is the Maui Sunset, Leinaala, Maui Schooner, Luana Kai, Koa Lagoon, Menehune Shores and Kihei Beach. Of these, the Kihei Beach, Menehune Shores, Koa Lagoon and Leinaala will guarantee the best views but do not generally have so much in the way of grounds. The Maui Sunset, Maui Schooner, Luana Kai and Kahale Makai fall into next level with lesser views but make up somewhat for this with generally nicer grounds as they have courtyards (reason for the lesser views). Beware that there are some units at both the Maui Sunset and the Kahale Makai that will actually put your lanai right on the parking lot with no hint of ocean or even much of a garden view ! The Luana Kai won't quite do this to you but lacks by the way of not having central A/C (they were talking about adding it, but I don't think they have yet) and no elevators, which is a real bummer if you are on the 3rd floor.

Therefore, I'd say that you should expect to pay the least for the same size unit at the Luana Kai out of this north Kihei makai group.

The Koa Resort is a mauka (mountain side) complex along with the Kihei Resort, Kihei Bay Vista, Kihei Bay Surf and several others even farther north. These are a notch below the makai group above since they are across the road from the beach. Of these, the Koa Resort has the nicest grounds and is one of the few complexes in Kihei that even has 3 bedroom units. This is the group along with those farther north to choose from if you wish to get into Kihei very economically.

The Maui Vista and Kihei Ali'i Kai are in south Kihei, tho' the Maui Vista just barely, and so are in a somewhat better league. This is because some of the best swimming beaches in the world are down there along with most of Kihei's upscale shops and restaurants. Plus, the largest concentration of activity centers reside down there as well. The Maui Vista and Kihei Ali'i Kai are both toward the lower/middle part of the heap in south Kihei accommodations but for 2 entirely different reasons.

The Maui Vista pretty much belongs there as the location is a bit out of the way, the units are very small (588 sqft. 1 BR, 822 sqft. 2BR), lanais are also quite small at 70 sqft., "view" units generally have poor views and they even charge you to use the on-site tennis courts. The Vista has an on-site activities office and is very heavily marketed by several professional agencies so this continually buoys it's popularity.

In contrast, the Kihei Ali'i Kai has no on-site activity center or vacation management office. It's mostly individual owners marketing on their own and a couple smaller companies. The Kihei Ali'i Kai complex is much better situated with respect to the beaches, shops, restaurants and activities. It's units are large (700 sqft. 1 BR, 945+ sqft. 2BR), and it's lanais are huge (150 sqft.). The view units really do have views and the on-site tennis is free. The one downside to the Ali'i Kai is that the complex is about 10 years older than the Vista so you really need to know which unit you are getting. There have been bad reviews from folks that have booked into some rather dated units in there. Just do your homework to make sure that the condo has been kept up or better yet, renovated recently. This makes dealing direct with the owner your best bet. Also, best to stay with buildings B and D as there is a major construction project along buildings A and C right now and for at least the next year or so !