We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Menehune Shores

Vancouver
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Menehune Shores

My husband, parents and daughter are planning to come to maui in February 2006, I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the beaches around the Menehune shores, are we able to swin at them? Also is there restaurants and things to do nearby?

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
977 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Menehune Shores

Up the street is Kihei Kalama Village. Variety of restaurants here:

Bada Bing (Italian), Alexander's Fish & Chips, Kihei Caffe, Pita Paradise, Pupu Lounge, Lulu's (Burgers). It is also an outdoor market. So lots of souvenir shopping to be done here!

Closer to you is Azeka, and they have Stella Blues, Taco Bell,Vietnamese Restaurant.

I prefer the south kihei beaches to the north kihei beaches. Particularly Keawakapu Beach or any of the Kamaole Beaches (I,II, III) I think Kaiwahine could share more on the beaches and the entertainment at Menehune Shores. I believe she mentioned somewhere here about Jazz music there.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Menehune Shores

Yorman's by the Sea is at Menehune Shores. Louisiana-inspired cooking and jazz most nights of the week. Yorman has a lot friends and you never know who might show up to jam with him. Close by is Isana for Korean food and sushi, short drive to aouth Kihei for many more dining options. The beach is not the best here, so you'll probably want to take a short drive south for beach time.

jq
Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
661 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Menehune Shores

We have stayed at Menehune twice for about 5 weeks. While it has been about 5 years since my son was married on the beach in McKena, we enjoyed it for the price. The restuarant situation there has changed several times and I can't give you timely info on that, but when we did eat there. it was a nice view and good food. There is no beach right in front as that is part of the ancient fishing ponds. Just north of Menehune about a block, is a beach that goes on for quite a ways. In the late aftenoons when the trades blow, there are lots of wind surfers there.

We used the Kamoele beaches several times and our favorite snorkel beach is Ula Beach in Wailua. None of these are very far and not a bad drive if not in rush hour times. We have stayed here because it was central. We normally drive to Lahina once for a day to look around and walk the beaches. We like the Pacific Whale Foundation tour boats from Malaea. Feb should be perfect time to see lots of whales. We usually drive to Haleakala for sunrise, and sometimes to Hana. The pineapple plantation on way from airport is a nice tour.

seattle
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Menehune Shores

There are not any decent beaches at Menehune Shores. You have to drive to Sugar Beach or down to Kam Beaches. The Fish Pond, as cool as it is, ruined those beaches. Rocky and kelpy. You can swim in the fish pond, and there is a heated pool there. Don't plan on getting any decent food at the restaurant (Yorman's by the Sea)...it's awful! Great restaurants down the street in middle Kihei (Stella Blues for Breakfast, Big Wave (by Long's Drugs) for breakfast, lunch and dinner), a great Thai Restaurant in the Azeka Shopping Center (where the post office is.....in the far corner), fast food...Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, Jack in the Box, and some other ethnic restaurants. Further down is Maui Tacos, Cafe O'Lei (beats just about anything with a great price point and good service..a nice view of the ocean), and then further down is Wailea with one of our favorites, Joe's, at the Wailea Tennis Center, Longhi's in the Wailea Shopping Center, as well as Cheeseburger in Paradise, which is a good break from the pricey restaurants in the area. Aloha!

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Menehune Shores

Sugar Beach is close, certain areas are pretty reefy but the area in front of Sugar Beach Resort is excellent for swimming. There is also a small pub called Dina's Sandwitch that's great for a quick bite at the resort as well.

Just drive south a couple minutes to the Kamaole beaches which are favulous, we like II and III the best. There are many many restaurants to choose from in the area. Drive further south to Wailea for more beaches and upper scale shopping and dining. Also golf!

6. Re: Menehune Shores

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, August 20, 2009