We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

royal mauian

Which Kihei hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
365 posts
Save Topic
royal mauian

My family is booked to stay at the Royal Mauian in April in a three bedroom (302) through AA Oceanfront. We are a little concerned, reading recent postings about road noise, security, proximity to the park and related night time troubles... I would appreciate feedback from anyone, as we are considering changing our reservations to another location. Thanks!

Maui
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: royal mauian

Hi kepster: I presume that you are on the 3rd floor? Yes, there has been some problems with theft from units. It is not just happening there, but all around us. No matter where you stay- ground or upper floor, near there or not, you just don't leave your lanai door open at night anylonger.

People use to be able to sleep with just their screen door closed and latched at night, but with the drug problem, people are coming in and stealing to buy drugs.

If you are concerned with road noise, ask the company how far back the unit sits from the road, they should be able to tell you. Most condos that are beach front, have part of their unit fronting Kihei Road. If it sits back say 100 ft, thats not too bad. If they say 30 ft, then you will feel like you are sitting on the road, and that might not be enjoyable.

The place sits on one of the nicest beaches in Kihei

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
365 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: royal mauian

Snorklelady

thanks so much for your reply. I was wrong, we are actually on the ground floor along side the road (102). The booking people say there have not been any complaints regarding noise etc... hmm. We are just a little paranoid as we have two little kids, and I am responsible for planning this great Mauian vacation for a group of 8 of us. I don't really want to change the booking but my next choice is Kihei Surfside. Any thoughts?

Kepster

Maui
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: royal mauian

Hi kepster: The KS is a nice property also. I looked at a unit there to rent once. The property/views were great also. I didn't like that the windows rattled when the wind blew, and it sits out on a point/where it is windy. They only have 2 bedrooms?? I thought you needed a 3? I like the fact that the RM's beach has showers, bathrooms, and life guards. The KS does sit away from the road more, but I felt the 1 bedroom that we looked at, didn't feel spacious in the living area. I like it when there is total windows and a patio door opening up onto the lanai. It felt closed in with a small window and wall next to the lanai door. There is more action up by the RM with restaurants and grocery stores, etc. You may want to check out some different rental companies, there are more than AA that have units there. You may be limited w/the 3 bedroom, as they could be positioned near the sides of building, and not near the middle. You can also google RM and see what comes up. I know of a few here in town that rent at different condos. I have used AA in the past and they are good people to deal with.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: royal mauian

Hi,

The 3 BR units are huge and are great for a gang. Many years ago, 5 of us stayed in a 3 BR unit and it was perfect. However, you will hear the traffic from S. Kihei Road - especially if you aren't lucky enough to get the master bedroom. The master bedroom is on the ocean side so the noise of the ocean blocks out the traffic noise. Take ear plugs and turn on the fans if you are a light sleeper

We've noticed that the RM now has Security at night. That's great. It was a bit shoddy when we were there in Sept. 2005. We always loved staying at the RM but won't anymore because of the snotty attitude of the residents and the management staff.

chicago, il
Level Contributor
139 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: royal mauian

kepster...you are worried about theft and noise.

you are next to the road (there will be noise), and of course your booking agent will say there will not be.

you are on the ground floor...worse place to be for theft.

you have two kids you are worried about.

i would find a different place...pay the extra money if you have to for a nicer and safer place.

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: royal mauian

We stayed at Hale Pau Hana last summer and I was concerned about the noise as well especially after staying in some very quiet complexes on the island. We couldn't hear anything except the surf being that close to the water with our door open and while we were on the grounds, at night we ran the ac in the bedroom and left our sliding glass door open facing the water and we were fine.

As far as theft, just use everyday precautions, lock your door when your not in your unit and don't leave valuable around. We have stayed on the 12th floor and I still hide our wallets when we are at the beach, many units also provide safes.

We have never had a problem and this April will be our 10th trip in nine years.