We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wifey's B-Day - Need Restaurant to WOW her..

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Topic
Wifey's B-Day - Need Restaurant to WOW her..

Hi All,

We are staying in Kihei the week of the 15th. Would appreciate any and all recommendations. We have our 2 year old Son that will accompany us so the place should be "Kid Friendly" to a certain degree.

Mahalo!

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
977 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wifey's B-Day - Need Restaurant to WOW her..

I highly recommend the Seawatch Restaurant in Wailea. It received several good reviews on the TripAdvisor restaurant review. I really like their 'surf and turf' for dinner. It's beef tenderloin and lobster with mashed potatoes. Very good.... (see their website for a list of entrees) I think your wife would enjoy it here, especially the ocean views and sunset.

Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wifey's B-Day - Need Restaurant to WOW her..

Hi Localgirl,

Thanks for the reccomendation. I have seen the reviews and read the feedback regarding Seawatch and will definitely consider it. One of the helpful girls @ Auntie Snorkels reccomended the Waterfront. How does this place stack-up against Seawatch?

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
977 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wifey's B-Day - Need Restaurant to WOW her..

I love the Waterfront too, my friend, Kimchee works there. Always had good food there. We usually order the stuffed mushrooms for pupus. We've had the shrimp scampi, jumbo scallops, and also pork. Very good food. One downfall I remember, was that they had mosquitos in the restaurant (or near our table, is what I mean) so, I got a few bites. Other than that, the food and service is wonderful....

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,417 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wifey's B-Day - Need Restaurant to WOW her..

I got the perfect spot, Humunumupukuku at the grand wailea hotel. It is set over this giant fish pond, so your youngster can feed the fish bread while dining, also they keep the lobsters in the water which are fun to watch. Very cool open architecture and right out near the ocean with stunning sunset views. Try to go a little early to make sure you get a table on the outside to fully enjoy the fish. Its a guaranteed wower

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wifey's B-Day - Need Restaurant to WOW her..

Wow! Localgirl & Longboard, this info. is really helpful. A Big Thank You / Mahalo for the "Hot Tips"..

Based off of the mosquitoeness of the Waterfront I think we will pass on them. Based on the killer fish pond and overall ambiance for Jr. I think we will go with them for the Wifey's B-Day dinner and follow-up at the Seawatch the next night for a Romantic 1-1 while Grandma watches Jr.

You guys are awesome! Thanks again!!

Lakesshow55

Illinois
Level Contributor
952 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wifey's B-Day - Need Restaurant to WOW her..

If you really, really want to wow her, you can arrange a "romantic dinner on the beach" with the Four Seasons. You can choose the menu with a private consultation with the chef. It's a 6 course meal, with wine chosen specially for each course. You will have a secluded table surrounded on 3 sides by plants, and overlooking Wailea Beach at sunset. You also have your own private waiter.

Expensive? Absolutely! But she will never forget it (I won't--my husband surprised me with it for our anniversary).

I don't know how your son would fit into this, though. I heard that the Four Season's has a kid's program, so if you really want to do this, maybe they could work something out.

A second option would be Mama's Fish House. It's kid friendly, the food and the setting are both great, and it's way more budget friendly than option one. Make reservations right away, though!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wifey's B-Day - Need Restaurant to WOW her..

I second the vote on Mama's Fish House in Paia.

Mentioned in this post
Paia
Paia
Maui, HI
Mission Kansas
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Wifey's B-Day - Need Restaurant to WOW her..

Had Dinner at Mamas Fish House this past Saturday night and it is beyond description! Not only is the food perfection but the ambiance, location and view are simply anyones idea of paradise. Even if you dont care for fish, you have to go, the view and surroundings are reason enough....I just cant say enough of how wowed my husband and I were with this place! It was one of many highlights of our 8 days in Maui....WOWIE!

( and dont forget to take along your camera! )

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Houston, TX
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
496 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wifey's B-Day - Need Restaurant to WOW her..

Just got back from our honeymoon and made the mistake of eating at Humuhumunukunukuapua'a. Don't do it.

Arrived for out 7:30 reservations at 7:15 and were pointed to the bar. After 30 minutes of waiting (and seeing other customers walk in and get seated), we finally got seated.

Service was spotty and distracted.

Appetizer (crab cakes) came out late. Ended up getting it with our salads. Crab was over cooked and dry.

About the time out entree's came out, we noticed a girl walking through the restaurant selling leis, flowers, and other touristy stuff out of a basket (think cigarette girl). This is in a fairly upper class resort and an upper class restaurant... really out of place.

We wanted to get the chocolate souflee mentioned in Maui Revealed... no such thing any more so we went with the Strawberry Shortcake. Until we were told they might be out... no wait another restaurant was sending down more strawberries. Shortcake tasted fine IF you like more lemon then strawberry taste. Bride and I ended up scraping off the strawberries and sauce and just ate the shortcake.

It was almost impossible to get the check and then to get it paid.

By way of reference, we had spent the previous four hours in the Spa Grande and were in wonderful relaxed moods. So we were very open to just about anything... Sorry to come off so negative, but I wanted to make sure that you get both sides of the story.

Yes the views were great, being over a huge pond was fun, and the decor was very interesting. Too bad I judge a restaurant more on its service and food then on the others.

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
977 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wifey's B-Day - Need Restaurant to WOW her..

In reference to BigBadFisher's comment about the flower girls who walk with their baskets,

this is the first negative comment I have heard about the flower girls. Seeing them on the islands is a very common thing and has always been welcoming to 'most' of us who visit and live there. It is always wonderful to see them with their basket full of fragrant leis and assorted flowers. My husband usually buys a beautiful lei for me and friends will buy leis for one another as a kind gesture of 'aloha'. You are not obligated to buy the leis and if the sight of them bothers you during dinner, then just look the other way. They are not even in restaurants or bars very long, maybe 10 minutes max walking around, so it's not like they are hovering 'over' you while you eat. Just because it's a high end resort or high end restaurant, does not mean they are not welcome. They usually do a quick walk through and they are gone to their next destination. I think having the flower girls walking around selling leis is something that makes Hawaii unique, a way of "spreading aloha".

Get answers to your questions about Kihei
Recent Conversations