We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grand wailea

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
grand wailea

im staying in the hotel in early july with my boyfriend as the second part to our four part holiday. i was wondering if this is a good hotel for couples looking for a relaxing, pampering holiday????

heard some people recommend this for people with children.

What is it like there and are there any good places to go out of an evening????

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: grand wailea

I think you picked a good one. While we have never stayed there, we stay closeby in a condo, You are right on the beach walk so you can walk to all the other neighboring resorts and beaches. Tons of restuarants in each. Friends of ours who live on the island highly recommend the Spa also. Just remember to get out and see the island also.

We have a son but we still like a quiet place to stay without tons of kids so I know what you mean about the kid thing. It looks like it's such a huge resort that you will have plenty of room to yourselves. A lot of people stay there because of the programs for children and the water slides.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
71 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: grand wailea

My fiance and I are going to the GW for our honeymoon in 12 days (not that anyone's counting)... You can expect a lot of kids from what I've read - but the spa should be wonderful which always helps with the relaxing and the pampering. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time!

New York
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: grand wailea

My fiancee and I will also be going there for our honeymoon in mid-July...I'm also a bit concerned about the kid thing, but the hotel not only has an "adult's-only" pool, but it also come very highly recommended from a number of friends who have been there. I don't think you can go wrong!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: grand wailea

My wife and I are heading to the Grand Wailea during the third week of May. I have read mixed reviews (ranging from the attentiveness of the staff, room condition and the nickel and diming). The hotel assured me that May is a slow season, especially for the kids. Can anyone offer me some advice?

Thanks.

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: grand wailea

We have stayed at a condo a few times in May nearby, and walked the GW grounds, it looks like a busy place to us with plenty of kids but we always stay at condo complexes which of course are more quiet. It still looks like a great place to stay. It is a big resort though so keep that in mind.

Buffalo
Level Contributor
462 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: grand wailea

we are going here too, in June. There are some mixed reviews at other sites-I am a little nervous. The grounds look amazing and we are locked in-so I will make the best of it,and I will be sure to post a review.

Seattle
Level Contributor
51 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: grand wailea

The GW is great. Yes there were some kids swimming in the pool. I think EVERY resort has that. We almost decided to not go based on all the negative reviews we read about screaming kids running around every. It's just not true. There are so many different pools to choose from and a beach/ocean to move to if you run across a kid that drives you nutz.

We are high maintenance travelers and loved this place.

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: grand wailea

i think you'll be happy there. it's huge, you'll be able to find a spot for quietness. actually swamee, we stay at condos in wailea and never experience screaming kids. thank goodness!

Level Contributor
16 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: grand wailea

I've been to this hotel several times and will never stay there again. We only went because it's like a Hawaiian Disneyland for kids and we have a 10 year old. In the summer it will be overrun with kids. The service is deplorable, the restaurants are overpriced and very mediocre. The spa is big and that's about it. It was extremely dirty the last 2 times I was there and the massage therapists were amateurs. At least go to the Four Seasons Spa if you can't get out of the GW reservation. If it's not too late just move your reservation to the Four Seasons. It's very elegant, romantic and the service is unbelievable. The GW is not romantic at all and would be a disaster for a honeymoon - I'm not even slightly exaggerating!

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: grand wailea

that's funny, i think it looks like disneyland on all the paths. I think the four seasons is beautiful and definatey more peaceful looking. we never stay in hotels on maui anyway but like to use the restuarants and check them out. they all seem crowded to me!