We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What rental car is suitable for Hana HIghway?

Which Kahului hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
7 posts
Save Topic
What rental car is suitable for Hana HIghway?

HI,

I'm planning a to drive to Hana for an overnight stay (coming from Paia) I'm just wondering what car would be suitable SUV or SEDAN.

I also read that some car companies wont rent out the vehicles if your planning to drive on the HANA Highway is this true?

Thanks

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,680 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What rental car is suitable for Hana HIghway?

JD...all the companies allow you to drive on the Hana Highway...it is only the section AFTER Lindbergh's grave that is prohibited by all the rental companies. ONLY Kihei Car Rental allows you to drive that backside in their jeeps.

Be careful about the Maui Revealed book...it advises you to go to places such as the blue pool which you would be trespassing if you took their advice. Look at the top questions on the right side of this page for good Hana stops (must be on computer to see- not all mobile devices show the top questions)

Edited: 5:43 pm, October 02, 2013
Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What rental car is suitable for Hana HIghway?

None of the rental agencies specifcally state the back side off limits but do have wording in some of their contracts that could suggest not driving it.

However my last trip May 13 I kept my rental aggreement from thrifty/dollar and it says driving on maintained and hard surfaces. So after driving the back side of the RTH we noticed a good section of road was recently graded and resurfaced with gravel. There was also a County of Maui grading tractor parked on the side of the road. So to me that is a road being maintained. And for hard surface most of the 6 or 7 miles in question are mostly paved with sections being this gravel.

I called my insurance company and made sure my AAA was up to date and have driven the back side many times. To me its an awesome section of road and use it to get to Oheo instead of coming from Paia.

And as for the upper west side loop its all paved!

Hudson Valley, NY
Level Contributor
53 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What rental car is suitable for Hana HIghway?

We just did the entire loop using a tour company. The tour guide told us that many people who rent sporty cars often break down in these bumpy conditions because the cars are too low to the ground. Sure enough, in a very remote area we passed honeymooners whose rented convertible had broken down and their cell phone did not have service here. Our driver stopped to help but no one could get the car going. It would be about 2 hours before a tow truck could get there and the tour guide told us a tow would cost around $600 (which the rental companies often do not pay).

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What rental car is suitable for Hana HIghway?

Your lucky to get any cell service anywhere on the RTH not just the forbidden section.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,933 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: What rental car is suitable for Hana HIghway?

I can guarantee you the rental company didn't pay the tow charge. This is exactly why they don't want you taking their cars out to this very remote location.

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: What rental car is suitable for Hana HIghway?

I did the inverse RTH around Haleakala through Ulupalakula on a Harley street glide just over two weeks ago & I can assure you there's faaaaar more than 6 or 7 miles that are not only NON-maintained, they're nearly coming apart in many places; they were NEVER properly set with base rock, nor were they compacted to basic road-way standards -- and I'm talking about much of the "paved" section beginning around Kalama Park Rd. past Polipoli ... nearly all the way to the Kipahulu reserve -- riding the Harley through there was like being on a bucking bronco for quite a spell, then there's the many pure gravel sections..

Sure, you can do it in a rental car, or a Jeep ... but would you subject your "OWN" cars suspension to a road like this?? I was granted specific permission to ride the bike on this road & it DID save much heat from the 103" rear cylinder, not being stuck behind groups of 5mph driving gawkers on each of the 620 curves & 59 bridges on that incredibly long stretch of road. But I won't subject my back to that ride ever again unless it's condition (the back..) improves at least several times better than it was prior to this most recent abuse on my part. The last time I made that ride, I was much younger & didn't have nearly a pound of titanium holding my spine together.

I also witnessed a few "chicken" matches between tourists & what appeared to be east side commuters trying to get somewhere in a hurry, & said tourists didn't appear like they were having much fun.. Further, while I actually pulled down a pretty decent Verizon cell signal right in front the Ulupalakula Ranch Store, I certainly don't think it's worth the risk of getting a flat on one of the many, many potholes or road lumps on that stretch of roadway. I have the luxury of having ohana on stand-by in the event of a mishap way out there, but most don't have that option.

Although overall, I still enjoyed the adventure -- my inverse ride was the only way I could fit the Hana Harley excursion/trip in, given the circumstances/time constraint(s) -- I'd definitely skip it altogether next time if it were under the same conditions/proviso..

Alo)(a, NKO

@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: What rental car is suitable for Hana HIghway?

Any car. Convertibles are fun

J D
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: What rental car is suitable for Hana HIghway?

Does anyone know if Enterprise Rent A Car pick you up at the pier (Pride of America) "automatically" or do you have to call when you get off the ship? Thanks

19. Re: What rental car is suitable for Hana HIghway?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 05, 2014