We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For April 2012 - Current Gasoline Prices on Maui

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
82 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
For April 2012 - Current Gasoline Prices on Maui

I searched some recent posts to see if anyone had provided this. We are reaching $4/gal in Texas ... and we generally have lower gasoline prices than most of the mainland. The Search for Cheap Gas sites show the range on Maui between $4.50 and $4.69/galloon.

Locals, help !!! What is the norm for regular unleaded? Which city on Maui usually has the best prices - which station or chain?

And we could not remember whether that Walmart that opened in Kahului also had a Murphy Gas Station.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,725 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For April 2012 - Current Gasoline Prices on Maui

No gas at Wal mart. I found Lahaina prices fairly reasonable for being right in the midst of a tourist mecca. I wouldn't try going all over the island looking for the best price, you get great gas mileage on Maui.

Ohio
Level Contributor
22 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For April 2012 - Current Gasoline Prices on Maui

Go to GasBuddy. Enter the zipcode and see the latest prices.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
572 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For April 2012 - Current Gasoline Prices on Maui

I never really worry about the extra cost of gas when I'm in Hawaii. The way I look at is, hey at least we're not driving two cars 350 miles a week at four bucks a gallons.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For April 2012 - Current Gasoline Prices on Maui

Thankfully, coming from California, I will be well prepared for the gas prices. We are already paying $4.33 a gallon...I'll probably drive less in Maui then when I work Monday-Friday. I guess it really doesn't matter how much the gas is, because I'll pay it!

Socal
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: For April 2012 - Current Gasoline Prices on Maui

Agreed...it will hurt to pay it but odds are you will be in a smaller car than home. We only used a bit over 1 tank in two weeks. However we are long time visitors to the island and don't necessarily go to all attractions, RTH, etc.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: For April 2012 - Current Gasoline Prices on Maui

Gas prices are pretty much fixed to be the same at each station.

Last week one station was 10 cents a gallon less because they did some radio station promotion. The line ups at the pumps made the police send a traffic policeman to guide the traffic. I have never seen a discount like this in Maui.

Now it is back to normal and all the stations are all around $4.60 per gallon. We are higher than most islands, but logic, or accountability does not enter into this formula.

I would quit hunting for a lower gas price and just rent a smaller, more fuel efficient car rental. Just close your eyes when you are filling l up, gas price is beyond your control.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: For April 2012 - Current Gasoline Prices on Maui

"Just close your eyes when you are filling l up, gas price is beyond your control."

That's what I need to do. Our gas prices are up to $1.44 per litre. I just did the conversion and that's $5.44 a gallon. So Maui gas prices won't even seem that bad! ...ok, that is just sad...

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: For April 2012 - Current Gasoline Prices on Maui

Oddly enough, I found the cheapest regular gas in Kula at the TruValue store. At the time it was 4.54. Lahaina is running around 4.67 last time I filled up

Vancouver, Canada
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: For April 2012 - Current Gasoline Prices on Maui

@DebandKev - I had the same thought! It's kind of sad when you go to Maui and SAVE money! LOL

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: For April 2012 - Current Gasoline Prices on Maui

back @ Elizabeth M - We'll likely save money on our groceries too... and dining out... (sigh). At least we won't get sticker shock.

When they said we were the most expensive city on the North American continent I would've figured that excluded Hawaii. Perhaps they could've included it. lol