We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental

Blackwood, New...
Level Contributor
414 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental

Where is the least expensive place to rent a car on Maui?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Car rental

It takes a bit of time to get the best price. I start two months in advance and check the internet everyday. A couple of years ago the price changed alot even a month or two in advance. Now the rental car companies are trying to hold their prices constant in hopes that the visitor will book at a high price and never check again, assuming the price they got is the lowest. But they always lower their price, you have to keep on checking the internet. Alamo with the Costco or entertainment card discount is usually the lowest. If you want to go with Thrifty, then hawaiicarrentals.net is the lowest. And you can cancel at any time. I dont like priceline either, since you have to pay upfront, and I have always been able to match or beat Priceline price, with a little effortt. And on Kauai, the rates are higher than Maui, at least with Alamo. I used to get cars, midsize, fullsize and even Chevy Trailblazers for $100 to $110 per week plus fees and taxes, but those days are gone. Now its 125 to 135 per week. Sometimes( for the period July 5-12), thru Costco, I booked a premium luxury SUV (Alamo) on Kauai for $229 per week when the usual price is 500 to 600 per week. One day they just reduced their prices. I ended up not taking it because of the gas mileage. I have pretty much figured out how to get the absolute best price since I rent for long periods of time.

Blackwood, New...
Level Contributor
414 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Car rental

Thanx to everyone for their ideas. Over the years I have found hawaiicarrentals.com offer the best deals but the general consensus seems to be, the more homework, the better the price.

ptown
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Car rental

do not rent from adventures unlimited unless you want a horrid adventure.

the website is nothing like the jeep you will get , older jeep is fine, but these are gross beyond what i can even tell you.

i would not try to save a little bit like we did and stay far far away from these jeep rental.

we ended up just hotwire a new car, because the thought of just getting into that jeep one more time just put me over the edge...

maui here is wonderful now, and for all you coming in, you will enjoy it soooo.

14. Re: Car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 05, 2011