We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental

Blackwood, New...
Level Contributor
414 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental

Where is the least expensive place to rent a car on Maui?

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
351 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental

I'm going Sept 2-8th and did a lot of research. Dollar has some good deals but I went with Word of Mouth car Rentals. By far the best price on convertibles...

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,173 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental

If cheap is really your top priority ... I would start with Priceline.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental

all depends on your age as well

surcharges are the norm for anyone under 24-25

research surcharges and the companies that do or do not add them

Some of the car rental places that have a "reputation" for low prices, often give you very old and sometimes pretty beat up cars.

Beat up Nissan Sentras are the norm for those type companies.

I'd rather go with something newer and one that has all the options that work, rather than a 1997 Sentra with 150,000 miles on it.

hotwire.com

priceline.com

carrentals.com

discounthawaiicarrentals.com ( or similar )

San Diego
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental

Booked econo car on Expedia for 6 days.

Total with taxes and fees was $159

New Jersey
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental

Just in case noone noticed, the sleazy bureaucrats on Maui and Kauai raised

the 'customer facility charge' from a dollar per day to $4.50 per day. This is on top of an increase in the concession fee. In addition, rental prices are generally higher than a couple of years ago cuz the rental companies shipped back a good portion of their fleet. So, when you get down to it, the actual charge is some fifty percent higher than the base rate. All this during one of the deepest recessions of all time and when Hawaii is trying to attract visitors.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,307 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental

Who's calling our bureaucrats sleazy!?!! It's not the powers that be on the individual islands, but those in Honolulu. State has everything to do with it. Need to pay the bills and sorry, folks, we need all the revenue we can get. Don't worry though, when I go to Maui, I'll have to pay all the taxes also.

Lots of people use priceline etc. I won't do that as I like to be able to cancel a reservation if need be. You can do that on the discount Hawaii rentals site. Found them to be very comparable to anything else.

Visitor arrivals were up 17% from this time last year. Looks like the price hasn't stopped anyone yet.

Edited: 8:13 pm, August 05, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
New Jersey
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental

Well, by whose count are visitor arrivals up 17%. Even if this is in fact true, people may be staying less time. All I know is that I have been in Maui every Christmas since 2003, and last Christmas (by that I mean from Dec 22 into the beginning of the new year), the hotel (condo) I was staying at (Maui Kaanapali Villas) was empty. And Christmas time is the busiest time of the year on Maui. I come for 5 to 6 weeks at a time, twice a year, and all I know is that I will be staying less time cuz the car rental prices including fees and taxes have become too high. Why should the visitor pay for the rental car buildings (facilities). The car rental companies are making enuf $$ to pay for improvements themselves. And whats wrong with the facilities as they stand now, they dont need Hilton class buildings. All the folks,whoever they are, have to do is continue to raise prices during this deep recession and we will see how many visitors they attract??!!!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,531 Reviews
Maui, HI
California
Level Contributor
7,124 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental

Another vote for Priceline as long as your sure about your travel dates. I've never had a problem and the price has always been rock bottom plus they only use the major car rental companies.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,868 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental

Usually go thru Alamo via Costco but got a WAY better rate with Hertz via Priceline $165/week for full size- name your own price. Was nervous to do it, but now I can't wait til next trip to see what kind of deal I can get! The tip I got here was to wait 7-10 days before your trip to get the best deals. Your card is charged if they accept your offer but if not, they send you an instant, no, look at what cars are going for, try again message so I tried a couple more times til they accepted. I refuse to pay more than $200/week for a car!

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,057 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental

In all my car rental searching I have found that it depends on the day you look. One day Costco is best, the next Hawaii car rentals or some other website that has been posted here. I do agree with msfuzz that I like the option of be able to cancel. Until that plane leaves the runway bound for Maui nothing is set in stone. Plus rental fees can change from day to day and the closer to your travel time is rentals are down prices could drop and sometimes drastically. With Costco you can simply cancel and go back in and make a new reservation.

It boils down to needing to do a little leg work (so to speak) here on the internet. And then keep on top of it as your trip gets closer. One year we saved well over $100 just keeping an eye on prices.

Mentioned in this post
Costco
Costco
91 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Maui
Maui
Hawaii