We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo advice

Which Kahului hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Condo advice

Hello,

We are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 girls aged 10 and 12) considering a trip to Maui this summer. I have been looking on vrbo for condo info and am wondering if anyone can point me to a few that meet our specific needs as the sheer number listed is overwhelming.

We are looking for a ground floor unit, 1 or 2 bedrooms, in a complex located at a swimmable beach, with a pool. I use a wheelchair but do not need any modifications other than a step free entry and step free access to/from the lanai. Walking distance to groceries and a restaurant or two would also be ideal.

Our ideal budget would be 1000 per week or less. Thanks for any pointers or suggestions you can send my way.

Laurel

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,715 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo advice

Aloha,

The Southsiders will be able to help you better than me.......but I think your budget is probably low for summertime, even in Kihei--with the amenities you've mentioned.

I'd also be careful booking anything with vrbo. Yes, some people do fine with it, some don't. If you do book thru it, make very, very sure that it's a legal rental, that the owner has a LOCAL management person and contact for emergencies, and that all taxes and fees on the unit are current and not in default.

vancouver island
Level Contributor
174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo advice

swmarket...

How can you tell when it is a legal rental???? And being in default???

are there steps to take to ensure all this is okay???

Thanks for any help as i am renting from VRBO and they say they handle the rentals themselves and have a lock box for their renters??????

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo advice

We were in Maui in Sept and looked for a good while for condo's at a good rate. I don't think you are going to find a resort on the beach for $1000. We stayed at the Maui Sunset. Very nice for the money ($ 1800) for the week in a 2 bd rm (shared with anohter couple). And the beach has seaweed so your swimming is out. Other than that the resort was very nice. Older resort, but had everything we needed.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,715 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo advice

Hi, BC,

I answered your PM. Feel free to ask more if you need to.You can post here too-it's good information for anyone traveling to HI to understand more about this issue.

Prices in September-when Cancun was here-are lower than June-hence my advice to the OP, because June is really not going to be that cheap.....

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,927 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo advice

If the building has an elevator, is something other than ground floor OK?

One good area to research in your price range would be the condo complexes along Sugar Beach in No. Kihei. My current favorite is Nani Kai Hale. I like the fact that all the 1-bedroom units have 2 bathrooms.

www.nanikaihale.com

The other 2 complexes I would recommend in the same area are Sugar Beach Resort and Kihei Beach Condos. Here's an agency that handles units at both places:

www. aliiresorts.com

All 3 of these complexes have oceanfront pools, and just a few steps to the sand and swimmable waters. The prices tend to be lower than elsewhere on the island because of a reputation (deserved!) for windy conditions in the mid-afternoon.

As you head south, the beach gets not-so-nice for a few miles after Sugar Beach, until you get to the wonderful Kamaole beaches in So. Kihei. Beachfront condos are more expensive there, however. You might look at Kamaole Nalu, on the Alii Resorts website. We had a big family gathering there a few years ago, with ages from 5 to 72. Rented several units, including 2 on the ground floor.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,167 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Condo advice

I doubt you will find a ground floor condo that dosn't have some threshold barrier between the LR and the lanai, and at least a bump up into the front door too. A condo in an elevator building might be more likely to have a balcony lanai with a lower threshold.

Hale Pau Hana at Kamaole Beach Park in South Kihei would be a good choice. I like that the management there allows you to reserve a *specific* unit.There are almost no NEW condos on Maui and you need to be able to choose one that's not run-down.

Mana Kai Maui is on excellent Keawakapu Beach. Barbara's suggestions on Sugar Beach are good too. You can more easily find something less expensive if you will look across the street from the Kamaole Beach Parks: Ocean View instead of Beach Front. (There's also Ocean Front, but that doesn't guarantee a good swimming beach.)

Thousands of people happily rent direct from owners all the time, despite dire warnings from agency supporters. I have no quarrel with agencies except that they are almost always more expensive and most will not guarantee the guest a specific unit. There are some pretty plain, bare-bones units in every agency's pool. An agency is under no obligation to move you if you don't like what they've assigned to you as long as it is a generic of what you contracted for. (For instance, a 2-BR Ocean View in "X" Complex.)

You will need a rental car everywhere in Hawaii outside of Honolulu.

There's little that's walking distance to both groceries and restaurants. Also, you need to know that it isn't always just the 'distance'. It's HOT on Maui. I bring an insulated cooler to the grocery store so I don't get home with liquid ice cream and curdled milk.

Edited: 9:12 am, January 09, 2010
7. Re: Condo advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 09, 2010