We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hana to Kahului Airport for 10.21 flight?

Which Hana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hana to Kahului Airport for 10.21 flight?

Hello

I am planning the Maui section of our honeymoon in October.

I really wanted to spend our last 3 nights in Hana - but our return flight to Oahu leaves at 10.21 , given that the recommended check in time is 1.5 hours before, that puts us at having to arrive at 9am ish.

How long will the drive take us?

A Google search said about 2.5 hours, but that was from the airport TO Hana and probably included stops on route (or at least I hope it did!)

Is this half baked plan viable?

Thanks for any help!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,469 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hana to Kahului Airport for 10.21 flight?

Yes, it's a good 2-3 hour drive straight to Hana. You may want to re think this as you don't want to be traveling on this road in the dark.

Round Rock, Texas
Level Contributor
140 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hana to Kahului Airport for 10.21 flight?

I suppose you *can* do anything you put your mind towards, but if this were my flight, I'd alter my lodging plans to avoid driving back from Hana in the dark with such a sharp deadline. :)

My husband & I once did the drive back from Hana straight to the airport, but it was for a late evening flight and we stopped along the way -- but even then, we felt pretty harried.

I can't think of a great hotel near the airport I'd recommend for honeymooners, but you might consider coming back from Hana the day before and just finding a generic hotel for one night -- or flipping your lodging plans to put Hana at the start of your trip.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,039 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hana to Kahului Airport for 10.21 flight?

Retink like MsFuzz suggest. 2 nights in Hana, last night in Paia.. Paia Inn or or Inn at Mama's http://www.mamasfishhouse.com/ Then you would only be 20 min from the airport.

London, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hana to Kahului Airport for 10.21 flight?

So far your messages have confirmed what I feared!

Although the flight is in the morning (10.21am) so we won't be drivng in the dark (says I full of confidence whilst realising I have no idea when it gets light in Hana in October!)

Level Contributor
587 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hana to Kahului Airport for 10.21 flight?

We had two nights in Hana as the last part of our trip last year and won't do it this way again. The drive is so beautiful, but soooo exhausting. and then to add a flight in the same day....no thank you! This year we are planning on Hana nights in the middle of our trip so that we can really enjoy!

London, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hana to Kahului Airport for 10.21 flight?

Thanks for the advice - have taken heed and re jigged our plans - now spending our last night in Wailuku (at Windward Garden B&B) after our 3 nights in Hana.

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated.

7. Re: Hana to Kahului Airport for 10.21 flight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, June 18, 2013