We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road to Hana? talk me into it.

New York
Level Contributor
121 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Road to Hana? talk me into it.

My wife and I have been to maui 5 times now. We have never taken the Road to Hana. We stay in Napili and would have that extra drive to do. My wife can get motion sickness. She walks with a cane so hiking is out. Seems like a long way down and back to have lunch and take a swim. Convince me to leave the Napili Bay beach to go.....or not.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
194 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Road to Hana? talk me into it.

It's been suggested that we jump in a van for a tour of the Hana Highway. I'm not sure if it's worth a 10 hour day driving in a van, jumping out and visiting sites, and jumping back in the van. Hmmmmm. But then, it might be better then trying to keep my eyes on the road..Please help.

p a
unict
Level Contributor
369 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Road to Hana? talk me into it.

There is so much beauty to see. Glad you decided to try it. You can always stop if either of you needs to go back.

Do you need tips for motion sickness?

Marty, do you have anyone to take turns driving? Do you prefer freedom to stop as you want or freedom from the responsibilities of driving?

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,206 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Road to Hana? talk me into it.

marty ... we drove it ourselves and enjoyed it, but there are some plusses to taking a tour. Reading through some of these reviews might be of help with your decision: tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g60630-d111…

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,101 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Road to Hana? talk me into it.

I've done both. I like both. Tours are fun because you don't have to do any driving and the guide is full of great things about the area you won't learn anywhere else. I like driving too as you can go anywhere any time you want. You just have to decide which is more important to you.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,349 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Road to Hana? talk me into it.

and if nothing else...eat all the local fruit at the stands...fresh mac nut brittle, homemade papaya/banana bread...little stands everwhere and at least make it to the painted eculyptus trees...

i forget EXACTLY where they are...will someone give the directions..

and stop at the gas station in hana, and look for the man in the pink speedo...

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,303 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Road to Hana? talk me into it.

We have been to Maui 6 times and have taken the drive 6 times, that is how much we love it. When we go for number 7 we will go again, could not even think of not going, but thats us. I'm 65 and am slowing down some, but not dead yet, so bring it on. As said, if your wife can't get meds for her car sickness, might not be for you, but in my EYES you are missing something special. Good luck and have fun. Hubie

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Road to Hana? talk me into it.

Spot on, Hubie.

Grass Valley...
Level Contributor
148 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Road to Hana? talk me into it.

Don't feel like you have to make the entire trip. There are plenty of view points where you can safely turn around along the way. Experience part of the RTH and then turn around whenever you feel like it. You are not commited to driving the entire road.

Tom

29. Re: Road to Hana? talk me into it.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, June 15, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Hana