We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hana 4 Less-anyone use this guide for Road to Hana trip?

Which Hana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
6 posts
Save Topic
Hana 4 Less-anyone use this guide for Road to Hana trip?

My family & I (4 adults, 1 child) are planning to hire a private tour company call "Hana 4 Less". Their prices are truly remarkable for a private tour guide but I haven't or seen much about them on the internet (aside from their website). Does anyone know the company or have experience with them? Desparate for good intel... HELP!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,164 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hana 4 Less-anyone use this guide for Road to Hana trip?

Drive the road yourself. It is easy.

Plus you can stop where you want & for as long as you want.

Read the Top Questions on the right side of the page.

Go to the Maui forum. Read the Top Questions there. There is one Top Question, good Maui websites. It has a section for Road to Hana.

Order the free Air Maui map.

It has mile markers for Road to Hana in increments of 5 miles with color-coded miles in between. It also has many of the stops on Road to Hana. You can add other stops to the map.

http://www.airmaui.com/mauimap.php

Order the free Maui travel planner:

1-800-GOHAWAII

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,048 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hana 4 Less-anyone use this guide for Road to Hana trip?

Well that's a new one on me! Not saying it's not good, just never heard of it! As Dusty said you can drive it yourself...look to the upper right, buy one of the many CD's available to help you!

If you have to do a tour take a look at "Valley Isle" for tours to Hana, and make darn sure that little one doesn't get car sick! It can be a really miserable trip for some folks! At least if you drive yourself you have the chance to turn around rather then being trapped on a tour! Just a thought!

Los Angeles...
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hana 4 Less-anyone use this guide for Road to Hana trip?

I dont want my hubbie to have to do the heavy lift on the drive- and i am a menace on the road... Notwithstanding, Hana 4 Less advertises that they will act as a private tour guide and will stop where we want and for how long we want. Their prices are extraordinary. Just want to make sure they are a legitimate organization. Looking for anyone who has used them recently or ever while in Maui..

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
46,777 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hana 4 Less-anyone use this guide for Road to Hana trip?

Aloha,

If you decide against driving it yourself, then I rec Valley Isle Excursions.

Take your time, as Dusty mentioned. You don't say how old your child is, but a tour may not be so great if you kid gets sick and/or bored........which some do (well, adults can as well!). You can stop and go as you wish-and turn around when you want if you drive yourself.

Edited: 10:09 pm, August 04, 2011
Los Angeles...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hana 4 Less-anyone use this guide for Road to Hana trip?

I have heard alot about the car sick factor- is it worse than driving in the hills of the caribbean? Is it really THAT bad- i have a tendency to get motion sick on boats- should i think twice?

Los Angeles...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hana 4 Less-anyone use this guide for Road to Hana trip?

My issues is that I really want to visit the 7 sacred pools and the black sand beach. Is there another way to do this- not a fan of the helicopter option?

Los Angeles...
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hana 4 Less-anyone use this guide for Road to Hana trip?

BTW my child is 5 years old-

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
46,777 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hana 4 Less-anyone use this guide for Road to Hana trip?

Aloha,

Okay, thanks for the info. To be (brutally) honest, I would not take a 5 year old on a tour. No way........just too long a day. The good tours last between 11 and 12 hours--which is also what it would take you if you stopped at all the places they do.

There are between 617 and 649 hairpin curves on the RTH, depending on who counted. There are 54 one lane bridges. You won't be going fast, but you will be constantly winding around the curves.........stopping often can alleviate sickness but it's still a long day.

Waianapanapa (the black rock beach) is nearly to Hana town-about four hours drive if you stopped along the way. The Pools of Oheo (there are more than seven and they ain't sacred) are about an hour past that. You can drive to both sites with your rental car, they are allowed by your contract.

But then you will have a three to four hour drive back. You may want to reconsider!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,048 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hana 4 Less-anyone use this guide for Road to Hana trip?

To be honest I would never take a child under 10 on the TRH. Just me, and blast away, folks. You have to have them, by law, in a car-seat, in the back seat!

Not a fun, many hour trip ,for a child after a many hour flight!

I have to drive the road myself or I get car-sick...sorry I'm not into puke! :-)

Los Angeles...
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hana 4 Less-anyone use this guide for Road to Hana trip?

Many thanks for the tips! Guess i'll have to find some other waterfall and beach to visit... :-(