We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Hana

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Hana

Going to be in Hana for 3 nights and need a good recommendation on where to stay (for relatively inexpensive). It with be for 4 adults and a baby. A one bedroom with a sleepr sofa would probably work. My main goal is to find a place that is clean for the baby (who is crawling) and find a trustworthy rental since there seems to be so many private rentals out there - I'm worried about picking a bad one! Also, I've been hearing about 'illegal' rentals (renters who need a state permit?) any info on that and should I avoid renting from someone without a permit? If I do that, there apprears to be only two places to rent in Hana (Travaasa & Hana Kai)?

Thank you!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,384 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Hana

It's not a state permit that is needed but a county TVR permit. I would avoid places that don't have it. Travaasa is an hotel, so you don't actually "rent" rooms there!! Look at this thread, it has posts about all kinds of different places you can stay in Hana.

tripadvisor.com/…25459819

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,709 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Hana

Aloha,

Here's the link to the County's legal vacation rentals:

…maui.hi.us/documents/…BB_2011Jul28.PDF

I highly rec the very first B&B, Hale Hamoa, also known as Hana Oceanfront Cottages. Dan and Sandi Simoni are super people and have a lovely property. Go to the left side of this page and read the reviews.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Hana

Thanks so much for the replys! Its very helpful :)

Modesto
Level Contributor
460 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Hana

You can also check out the www.hanaparadise.com. Hana Paradise Cottages have three different cottages, owners Wendy and Otto,,

We stayed at the Bamboo Cottage, but that is for 2 people. Their 2 bedroom was the same price and would suit your group,,if available.

They were wonderful people to work with and made our trip wonderful.!

Level Contributor
36,364 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Hana

Travessa is gorgeous, we toured it when we were in Maui in June. It is pretty pricey, tho. :).

Tigard, Oregon
Level Contributor
179 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Hana

I've never stayed there, but it sounds from the reviews that you should avoid Joe's Place at all costs...

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60630-d86938-R…

7. Re: Where to stay in Hana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, October 08, 2012