We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advise on : Road to Hana

Malaysia
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Topic
Need advise on : Road to Hana

Hi, all

Me & my husband will be joining his company trip at Grand Wailea Resort, Maui from 7 June till 10 June .

We plan to arrive on 5 June & need advise on how we can fit the below into our itinerary:

(1) "Road to Hana"

(2) Dolphin or Whale watching

(3) Visit Hard Rock Cafe, Lahaina

Thanks

We have these on our mind that we want to do r

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
172 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advise on : Road to Hana

The road to hana you can do yourself if you rent a car. It'll take probabably most of the day if you want to take your time and stop places and enjoy the views, etc.

Whale watching is primarily in the winter months I believe and I don't think there will be many whales to see in June. I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong.

To visit hard rock, you could either drive your car or if you won't have a car, it should be easy to get a cab, though it's not exactly close.

I'd recommend renting a car for all that you want to do. Sounds like your best bet. The hard rock won't take much time, just a few hours for dinner one night to look around and eat.

Have fun!

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,113 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advise on : Road to Hana

For your trip to Hana, get a early start, we never make it back in day light, good luck and have fun. Hubie

@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advise on : Road to Hana

def do the RtH

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,344 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advise on : Road to Hana

Hopefully you are renting a car. You should do the road to Hana on your first or second day. To take full advantage of this trip, leave early and expect at least a 12 hour day. No whales in June. The most dolphins you will see would be on a trip that goes to or close to Lanai. You could do a morning boat trip out of Lahaina and then hit the Hard Rock for lunch afterward. Getting a taxi from Wailea to Lahaina will be $$$.

Level Contributor
36,339 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advise on : Road to Hana

We did the Road to Hana today! It was so much fun, the drive is definitely worth it. We picked up the CD at the Shell Station, you also get a cooler for the day and a DVD of the trip. We left Lahaina about 8 and returned to our hotel around 8:00 tonight after stopping at Mama's Fish House in Paia for dinner. Be sure you stop at Glen's for some homemade Coconut ice cream, you can also buy a whole coconut there. The Road to Hana has some of the most amazing scenery ever seen on a drive. I hope you like it! :)

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,522 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advise on : Road to Hana

Aloha,

Looks like you folks had a great time, and a cooler on top of that!

Waiting for your trip report.

Aloha

Hilton, New York
Level Contributor
209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advise on : Road to Hana

Syra - we will be in Maui for the first time in just 28 days! We are doing the RTH the 2nd day we are there - I love coconut and would love to try some coconut ice cream - where is Glen's?

Bamboo - 28 days until departure :-)

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,697 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advise on : Road to Hana

No whale watching in June. Not sure if there are "dolphin watching" cruises but you might consider a snorkel cruise or sunset sail, where you may be lucky and see dolphins. Also likely to see turtles and other sea life. I know there are some snorkel cruises that leave from the south side and the concierge could probably arrange transportation for other cruise-type activities.

Hard Rock is pretty much the same everywhere -- if you go to Lahaina ,there are plenty more local restaurants that would have much better food and atmosphere. You could nip in the HRC and get a tshirt, if that suits.

Road to Hana is great -- you'll need a car or to take a tour.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,584 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need advise on : Road to Hana

The key is if you will have a car, if not look at Valley Isle tours for Hana.

Agree with msfuzz about combining a boat trip from Lahaina and Hard Rock...Konagirl, for some of us ya gotta hit Hard Rock for the collector pins and "stuff" only available at that location!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need advise on : Road to Hana

Could you fit in the road to Hana sunset and waterfall tours and hikes? Or would that be a crazy long day?