We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long should we stay in Hana

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
158 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
How long should we stay in Hana

We are doing our annual visit to the beautiful islands of Hawaii. Getting my short 5 day Oahu fix and then spending 9 days on Maui. Going to spend some of it in Hana as a change of pace. What is a good amount of days/nights to get a great feel of the place and enough time to do some hiking and see what there is to see? Planning on the basic room at Hana Hotel or the cute guest cottages that are listed as #2. Thanks for your help!

1. Re: How long should we stay in Hana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:46 am, April 05, 2011
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,939 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long should we stay in Hana

This is really a matter of personal preference. Me, I could stay for days and days in Hana. Others are glad they are out of there after one day. How many days do YOU want to spend in Hana?

Round Rock, Texas
Level Contributor
140 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long should we stay in Hana

Hana is pretty much *the* most relaxing place I have ever been to (after the long & winding road that gets you there, I'm ready for relaxation!). We've driven the Road to Hana three times, staying in Hana on two trips (just one night each time - staying in the cottages at Hotel Hana Maui). We've always wished for a second night, mostly so we could enjoy the amazing serenity of Hamoa Beach a little longer, or so we could get to the National Park early enough to beat the crowds.

However, like the others have said... Hana isn't for everybody. If you want tons of nightlife... well, stay in Oahu. ha. :)

With you having 9 days on Maui, and wanting to hike, I'd suggest you stay 2 nights in Hana. Day 1 you do the drive to Hana, day 2 you hike & relax, day 3 you visit Hamoa beach and drive back.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,265 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long should we stay in Hana

yep - really is a personal preference thing . . . we stayed 3 days, 2 nights - OH couldn't wait to leave, I could have stayed there for a week. :)

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long should we stay in Hana

We stayed our first 2 nights on Maui (& our first ever trip to Hawaii!) in Hana at the Hana Kai, and fell head over heels in love with Hana! So much so we're staying 3 nights this time! Personally, I think I could happily stay a week!!

Like the others have said, Hana is not an overnight-stay place for everyone, but for those of us who love the pristine beauty of what Hawaii must've looked like decades ago, the way the stress just falls away, and sunrises to make you weep, it is truly heavenly Hana!!

Fairfax Station...
Level Contributor
147 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long should we stay in Hana

I agree with SDSUGRAD that Hana has to be one of the most relaxing spots on earth. We always find that it takes us at least a couple of days to unwind and reach that really relaxed state, and have found that 5 days is ideal for us. We usually spend 10 days on Maui, 5 days somewhere "beachy" and 5 days in Hana.

We did stay a full 10 days in Hana one trip, and found that we did miss the some of the activities that we get elsewhere.

7. Re: How long should we stay in Hana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, October 25, 2012