We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gas Stations

Which Hana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Gas Stations

Aloha :)

I will be spending one night in Hana. I'll be spending the rest of my nights in Ka'anapali. I want to get an early start to Hana so I can see as much as I can in the two days I'm doing Hana-ish type things. So, what time do gas stations open in the morning in/around Pa'ia? Or can I get to Hana on a tank of gas from Ka'anapali? I will be driving a small compact car, hopefully not a gas guzzler.

If I have to fill up/top off in Pa'ia, I want to be there as early as possible because I want to have plenty of time to enjoy the journey.

Also, I can't recall gas stations in Hana. There is at least one right? :O

Mahalo for any/all replies :)

jc

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,297 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gas Stations

There is one gas station in Hana, controlled by the same folks who run the hotel and town center....

It has the highest-priced gas in the state. $4.99 a gallon when I was there last month.

The guy who runs it has a great little routine about how even though it only took a quarter tank of gas to get to Hana, you should best fill up because you never know if three-quarters of a tank will be enough to get you back.

It is only like 75 miles from Kaanapali to Hana; it just takes a while. So, one tank in any car should be enough. But if you are going to get a refill; save $10 and get it in Paia.

The gas station is the single biggest profit maker of any business in Hana.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Gas Stations

Thanks Amberloo :)

I should be able to make it there and back on one tank, then.

jc

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,303 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gas Stations

I think there may be gas stations in Kahului that are open 24 hours. You'll probably have better luck finding an early morning tank up there than in Pa'ia. A full tank should certainly get you there and back. Maui isn't that big. :)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gas Stations

I found that gas is usually cheaper in the Kaanapali/Lahaina area of Maui than in Kahului or Paia. Fill your tank the night before you leave and you will be good to go!!

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,796 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gas Stations

Exactly what Msfuzz said. There are several stations in Lahaina...fill up there early morning and you're good to go. (Don't know what time they open...maybe a local knows about those stations in Lahaina huh?)

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Gas Stations

Thanks everyone :)

I'll fill up the night before and head out really early. I went to Hana 3 years ago but I don't remember anything about gas. Also, I started from Makawao, not Ka'anapali.

jc

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gas Stations

It's only 75 miles one way. Fill up around the Airport, you should be fine.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gas Stations

Like I said before, fill up in Lahaina, gas is a lot cheaper there compared tothose around the airport. Those are the most expensive on the island!! Except for the one in Hana!!

Edited: 1:09 pm, January 31, 2010
Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Gas Stations

Just so people are not guessing about gas prices on Maui, here are the facts. I can't see much difference so get gas where ever you want except Hana! it is expensive there.

It would be helpful if those replying had facts other than their own opinions.

PAIA GAS PRICES

Chevron

99 Hana Hwy

Paia, HI, 96779

$3.759 Jan 26

Shell

68 Hana Hwy

Paia, HI, 96779

$3.789 Jan 27

LAHAINA GAS PRICES

Shell

4405 Lower Honoapiilani Rd

Lahaina, HI, 96761

$3.819 Jan 27

Shell

70 Kapunakea St

Lahaina, HI, 96761

$3.789 Jan 27

Shell

711 Mill St

Lahaina, HI, 96761

$3.779 Jan 27

Aloha

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Gas Stations

It's a buck a gallon more there than here, but I've been saving up Shell gas cards for the past year so all my gas should be close to free :)

Thanks for the facts :)

jc