We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive to Hana NOT worth it.

Which Hana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
51 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Drive to Hana NOT worth it.

The area is in a drought which means NO waterfalls. Just got back from Maui and did the drive. If we would have known the drought issue we would not have gone as there was not alot to see that we couldn't see in other parts of the island. The 50 mile drive and 15 mph speed limit on most of it is rediculous. The road is very, and I mean very treacherous as there are alot of one way bridges and you get people driving like maniacs.

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive to Hana NOT worth it.

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion of the trip, I think you'll find the majority feels differently , which is fine. Not everyone is going to see things the same way.

The trip is about a lot more than waterfalls. We have been all over the island and, to us, the scenery on that end of the island is not duplicated anywhere else.

I would sooner face the drivers on the trip to Hana than face the ones around here during an evening commute.

baltimore, md
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive to Hana NOT worth it.

I am sorry to hear your trip on the road to Hana was so bad. But I do think the waterfalls issue changes week to week. I know 3 weeks ago some of the waterfalls were off limits to swim in because they were gushing and it was to dangerous to swim in. I hope things do change when I go the 3rd week of June because I do look forward to my drive on the road to Hana. But I will not let the lack of waterfalls deter me from doing it. I think that part of the island is so beautiful.

seattle
Level Contributor
2,039 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive to Hana NOT worth it.

I feel the same about hwy 101 on the northern coast of california

California
Level Contributor
907 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive to Hana NOT worth it.

Is there one good hicking trail along the road to Hana? I would love to pull over and take a 2 hour hike.

Michigan
Level Contributor
279 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive to Hana NOT worth it.

Wow, the drive was one of the highlights of our trip. Granted, we saw lots of waterfalls, but I'd do it again even without them. Beautiful scenery, quaint villages, a little bit of hiking, and oh yeah, lots of banana bread!

seattle
Level Contributor
2,039 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive to Hana NOT worth it.

Yes there are hikes Pappy gave me the name of a book his wife has about hikes on Maui. We love to hike and the book is very good. So Pappy jump in here.

Maui
Level Contributor
399 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive to Hana NOT worth it.

Sorry you had a bad experience swami! Sometimes even in the most perfect climate on earth, the weather does not cooperate. Last time we had visitors, there was only one possible day they could do the Road to Hana and it ended up poring torrential rain ALL DAY. So not only were we wet and miserable, we didn't get any of the beautiful views because the clouds blocked all visibility.

Ventureman, did you want a nice hike? We just did a great 2 hour hike last weekend. It's the Pipiwai trail, which starts at O`heo Gulch and goes gradually uphill (not too strenuous). The scenery is so interesting (a huge ancient banyan tree; a herd of cows; a big rocky gorge; a thick bamboo forest) that it never gets tedious. At the top you reach the towering tall Waimoku Falls, where you can take a refreshing dip. And even though the downstream falls at O`heo Gulch and the Infinity Pool were all dry when we went, there was still fresh water flowing up at Waimoku.

California
Level Contributor
907 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive to Hana NOT worth it.

How do you get to the Pipiwai trail? Never been to Maui, and would very much appreciate the directions. We are staying in Kahana.

Level Contributor
867 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive to Hana NOT worth it.

Perhaps the winter rainy season would be the best time to observe waterfalls cascading in all their glory.

Maui
Level Contributor
399 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Drive to Hana NOT worth it.

Ventureman,

The Pipiwai trail is part of the Kipahulu (coastal) area of Haleakala National Park. This is the park where O`heo Gulch aka Seven Sacred Pools is. To get there, take the Hana Highway a few miles past Hana. You do have to pay the entrance fee to get in and park your car there, but you can use the pass for seven days either here or at the Haleakala summit area.

Most of the people that visit the park are going to see & swim in the pools of O`heo, which are makai (toward ocean) from the highway. The Pipiwai trail goes mauka (toward mountain) from the road. While you are there, if you haven't ever been to the pools, you definitely should do that too!

It's not a bad idea to stop at the visitors center and ask about trail there. They can tell you more about the terrain and trail conditions, and tell you exactly where to pick up the trail. Basically it's across the street from the bridge that goes over the gulch.

You can go to the National Park website for maps and information:

nps.gov/hale/…trails_kipahulu.htm